WODE booting slow on higher firmware? Getting Error on Cube?

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
Ashen

WODE booting slow on higher firmware? Getting Error on Cube?

Post by Ashen » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:45 pm

This is probably why:
Wiisel wrote:If the loading screen arrives after updating to a higher firmware it's possible that your WODE has a marginal FPGA. This does not mean your WODE is defective but simply that the FPGA only met the lower end of the manufacturers requirements. Higher firmwares put more strain on the FPGA and may push those marginal ones over the top this will be fixed in the newer kernel now that the development team have a marginal FPGA in their possession all new releases can be optimized. Downgrade packages are provided in the download section should your wode get stuck on loading when on a higher FW.
Apparently some WODE's have a "marginal" (slower) FPGA. When upgrading to FW 2.xx+ you may experience that when hooked up to a GC that you'll get the dreaded "error has occurred" because the WODE takes to long to initialize. These WODE's are not defective, as they work just fine on a Wii. Just not suitable for GC use is all.

I don't believe this issue was ever really fixed by the WODE's FW team as I've been doing a lot of work with my WODE lately and any firmware over 2.00 gives me sporadic errors. FW v1.28- works perfectly however.

SOOOOOooooooo.... If you're having similar issues with your WODE, this is likely the reason. :/
kel01

Re: WODE booting slow on higher firmware? Getting Error on C

Post by kel01 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:19 pm

Not sure if you noticed in this thread http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... 9515#p9515 but I also have a WODE with this problem. Although mine doesn't even work with firmwares below 2.00 also :(

I still haven't found a way around it so I ordered another WODE which I'm still waiting on. Fingers crossed that I will get a working one this time.

EDIT: It seems that I was wrong and now that I have the WODE connected to 3.3v on the drive board instead of via a 3.3v regulator it works fine even on the latest 2.8 firmware.