Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
DorDur215

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by DorDur215 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:04 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:54 pm
DorDur215 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:40 pm
Hello I've been trying to configure GBI SR to my liking but I can't seem to get my desired results.

I'm trying to get GBI SR working in as close to fullscreen and correct aspect ratio on my Samsung 4k TV (2021) with a GCVideo-DVI 3.1 HDMI Adapter.

I've tried the gbihf-gcdv-v3 preset but my tv doesn't seem to to be able to display 720×960i so I need settings that work in 480p.

I've also tried the following settings from the wiki:

--zoom=2.53125:3
--format=custom,offset=0,scaled-size=0:0
--scan-mode=progressive

And while those settings seemed to be fullscreen at first I later noticed that it cuts off a bit of the image at the top and bottom.

So my question is is there any way that I could get 16:9 as close to fullscreen as possible on GBI SR?
It's the TV that's cutting off the picture. Simply scale the zoom factor to compensate. (example: --zoom=2.3203125:2.75)
Thanks a lot! That did the trick!
DorDur215

Post by DorDur215 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:14 am

Hello it's me again.

I'm having another issue.

I'd like to get GBI SR to display 3x zoomed 4:3 specifically for GB/GBC but the aspect ratio seems to be off.

I tried the following settings that the wiki mentioned:

--zoom=3
--vfilter=.5:.25:.25
--scan-mode=interlace

--zoom=3
--vfilter=.5:.5:.0:.5:.0:.5
--scan-mode=non-interlace

--zoom=3
--scan-mode=progressive

I am using a GCVideo HDMI Adapter.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I found a solution. I just had to disable the "Resolution Fix" setting in my GCVideo HDMI Adapter! Now the aspect ratio is correct.
DorDur215

Post by DorDur215 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:52 pm

Hello again!

I'm extremely sorry and I really don't wanna bother anyone but I have an issue.

The problem is that I get what seems like stuttering for 5 seconds in very consistent intervals (something like every 20-30 minutes, I haven't timed it tho).

The stuttering happens in all games I've tried (Kirby Amazing Mirror, Rhythm Tengoku, Pokemon Emerald) in seemingly random places but in consistent intervals as mentioned above.

I am using GBISR with a GCVideo 3.1 HDMI adapter on a 2021 Samsung 4k tv.

My GBISR DOL+CLI is using these settings:

--zoom=2
--no-overlay
--scaler=nearest
--profile=srgb
--volume=0.5
--sound=digital
--scan-mode=progressive
--no-enhance

Could the fact that I'm using GBISR on a modern tv be the issue because of the weird gba refresh rate?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:06 pm

Nah, it's a problem most commonly seen with --format=custom where the Game Boy Player's VSync is straddling the GameCube's VSync line when the clock phase is just right.
DorDur215

Post by DorDur215 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:32 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:06 pm
Nah, it's a problem most commonly seen with --format=custom where the Game Boy Player's VSync is straddling the GameCube's VSync line when the clock phase is just right.
Thanks for your reply!

So to be clear this issue is not fixable?

If so is there any other format I can use that works for modern displays that doesn't have this issue?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:54 pm

I wouldn't say it's impossible to fix, but it's difficult to fix.
DorDur215

Post by DorDur215 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:46 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:54 pm
I wouldn't say it's impossible to fix, but it's difficult to fix.
Well thankfully it's not that big of an issue.

I'm sure you're busy enough already but it would be nice if it could be fixed someday.
CYAN1DE7

Activate GBI frame overlay

Post by CYAN1DE7 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:09 am

Hello all, I'm having trouble getting the frame overlay working.

In my gbi.cli file I have added these lines to my working .cli:

--overlay=frame-srgb.tpl.gz
--overlay-id=11

Now having these lines in I also have the folder: frame-srgb and the file frame-srgb.tpl.gz in my GBI folder which is in the root of my SD card. I use swiss to boot up GBI.

Please let me know how I can activate this overlay, I'd greatly appreciate it!
fvig2001

Post by fvig2001 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:09 am

I have a question on the rumble feature.

Steps:

1. Power on GBA without cart
2. Connect Gamecube to GBA running GBI
3. Attach compatible cart on GBA "controller"
4. Load up a game like Drill Dozer in Gamecube

Is this correct?

Has anyone tried Wario Wario Twisted's Japanese version? I ordered one in hopes it would work.

Thank you
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:50 am

You need to power on the GBA with the cart. Press Start + Select to cancel cart boot.
Cristan

Post by Cristan » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:40 pm

Hello everyone,

It is the first time that I am going to use the Game Boy Interface and I have seen that there are different versions.

I wonder, what is the best version or configuration to play on a CRT monitor?

Thank you
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:39 pm

The standard edition is ideal for sample-and-hold displays (LCD, OLED). By default, it emulates some aspects of the color and sound reproduction of the original handheld. With a Broadband Adapter and USB Gecko in hand, it can be used as a small Game Boy Advance development kit.

The speedrunning edition is ideal for impulse displays (CRT, 1ms MPRT LCD, Plasma) or use with the RetroTINK-2X. It attempts to be a non-controversial improvement for speedrunners. To ease transition, it can be configured to closely mimic the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc.
You're welcome.

Source: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... _Interface
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
Cristan

Post by Cristan » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:13 pm

liquitt wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:39 pm
The standard edition is ideal for sample-and-hold displays (LCD, OLED). By default, it emulates some aspects of the color and sound reproduction of the original handheld. With a Broadband Adapter and USB Gecko in hand, it can be used as a small Game Boy Advance development kit.

The speedrunning edition is ideal for impulse displays (CRT, 1ms MPRT LCD, Plasma) or use with the RetroTINK-2X. It attempts to be a non-controversial improvement for speedrunners. To ease transition, it can be configured to closely mimic the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc.
You're welcome.

Source: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... _Interface
Thanks, I'll try that way :D
Clarar

Post by Clarar » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:36 pm

Extrems wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:22 pm
blizzz wrote:I assume the arguments would allow me to start it in 240p, but I have no idea where I can enter them. Is there an option for it in Swiss?
Set Swiss Video Mode to 480i. The only loader that supports arguments on GameCube is GBI itself through wiiload, using a Broadband Adapter.
Hi friend
Setting Swiss Video Mode to 480i allows for optimal visual experience on GameCube. GBI, through wiiload and the Broadband Adapter, provides the capability to load and configure this mode efficiently
Nofii

Post by Nofii » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:14 am

DorDur215 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:52 pm
The problem is that I get what seems like stuttering for 5 seconds in very consistent intervals (something like every 20-30 minutes, I haven't timed it tho).

The stuttering happens in all games I've tried (Kirby Amazing Mirror, Rhythm Tengoku, Pokemon Emerald) in seemingly random places but in consistent intervals as mentioned above.

I am using GBISR with a GCVideo 3.1 HDMI adapter on a 2021 Samsung 4k tv.bitlife

My GBISR DOL+CLI is using these settings:

--zoom=2
--no-overlay
--scaler=nearest
--profile=srgb
--volume=0.5
--sound=digital
--scan-mode=progressive
--no-enhance

Could the fact that I'm using GBISR on a modern tv be the issue because of the weird gba refresh rate?
Hii, i am having the same issue. I read the thread, the cause of the issue is mentioned and this issue left unsolved.
Can anyone tell me how can i solve it?
MR.JOE

Post by MR.JOE » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:47 pm

Bumflufftornado wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:21 am
Hi I'm looking at setting up GBIHF 360p through an RT5X and noted the following line in the firmware update:
The RGB approach seems to have some image quality issues, though, so we'd recommend a solution that uses the GC's digital AV port.
Is anyone able to explain what kind of quality issues in laymans terms?

It's a little over twice the cost for the carby/hdmi>component converters so curious how bad the SCART solution is in comparison :D
Any updates on this? I would like to know if it's possible to get 360p through RGB scart and in case how to set it up.
Keiyuu

Post by Keiyuu » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:27 am

Hi,
I'm trying to set up accurate colors to imitate how the games would look on the GBC and GBA respectively.
From what I understand, for most accurate results I need to use the settings listed under "Color emulation" here:
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... _emulation

Problem is, it only lists GBA settings. Where can I get GBC values for input-gamma, brightness and contrast to use in conjunction with the gbc matrix?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:41 pm

You don't have to use those examples. Use the color profiles instead.
Keiyuu

Post by Keiyuu » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:09 am

The issue with using the profile is that it applies the correction to the whole GBA screen zone so when I use the GBC profile on GBC games there is a grey washed out area around the game portion.
Here's a photo of the issue:
Spoiler
Show
That's why I'm trying to recreate the correction with a matrix but I don't know the correct values.
I also noticed the LUT correction doesn't add the border but I'm not sure how accurate it is. Maybe I should just use that?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:01 pm

Depending on which edition you're using I might be able to solve that.
Keiyuu

Post by Keiyuu » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:50 pm

I'm using the HF edition with an OSSC and format=hdcustom.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:55 pm

Until --crop-auto can do left/right trim, you can use --format=cropped-size=320x576 (or 320:576 if you're using an older build).
Keiyuu

Post by Keiyuu » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:10 pm

Awesome, this did the trick! And not only that, it also fixed the same problem I had when using custom palettes on original GB games. Thanks a lot!
Linkr2

Post by Linkr2 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:33 pm

Hey hey! New here, lately I've been tinkering with colours and GBI, this piece of software is amazing!

The thing is, I've been trying to load the Lut rgb PNGs from the GCLoader SD card, with no success : (

I finally loaded them using an external SD Gecko and they worked perfectly, but I couldn't find a way to do it directly from the GBI folder inside the GCLoader SD... I tried a lot of combinations and at this point I don't know what I must be missing out.

I tried to write the path to the PNGs in several ways, but none of them worked, even following the instructions and specifically specifying the device:
Any file path can be relative or absolute. The working directory is the first, non-empty GBI/ directory found in Memory Card Slot A, Memory Card Slot B, Serial Port 2, or GC Loader. The device can be specified with the prefix carda:, cardb:, sd:, or dvd:.
Has anyone here managed to load this files from the GCLoader SD card when using GBI? Any advice will be very welcome! Thanks!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:40 pm

Make sure your SD card isn't formatted as exFAT. That's not supported outside of Swiss.