Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
FIX94

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by FIX94 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:29 pm

if anyone is actually interested in how the GBA communication works you can check out my demo code on github.
mobius

Post by mobius » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:29 pm

This is amazing, thank you! I know the ESA tech team is planning to use this, hopefully SGDQ does too.
blizzz

Post by blizzz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:27 pm

Fantastic news! Now we can play GBA games with a real GBA as controller on real GBA hardware in 240p RGB on a CRT without stutter. Time to sell that overpriced Hori Pad.

Gonna test this tomorrow. Thanks Extrems and FIX94!
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:58 am

sell it to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)
blizzz

Post by blizzz » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:15 pm

How exactly do you use a GBA as a controller? I've tried both the ULL and normal version and different ports, but I can't get it to work.

Edit: Figured it out. You need a normal Gamecube controller in Port 1 and the GBA in Port 2. Doesn't work if only the GBA is connected.
Last edited by blizzz on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:20 pm

It should just work. How many things do you have plugged in?
blizzz

Post by blizzz » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:22 pm

I figured it out :)

You need a normal Gamecube controller in Port 1 and the GBA in Port 2. I had only the GBA connected.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:06 pm

Before people get the wrong idea, any port arrangement will work. I use Port 4 for GBA myself. It's built to support up to 4 controllers at once.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:13 pm

What is the advantage to using the GBA as a controller? The D-pad is too small for my taste. SNES controller D-pad is perfect

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
funkwad

Post by funkwad » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:22 pm

Hi all,

GBI is pretty awesome. I've got it running fine (Regular version non ULL) at 240p via component to a framemeister. Looks like RGB SNES quality to my eyes.

I am looking at upgrading to an HDMI out soon for my GameCube however. I wonder how it will do then.

One thing i'm noticing is a 'wheezing' sound coming from my Gamecube when running GBI. It seems to only occur when I run GBI. I'm not sure why. I did recently mod my system with a Xeno chip and it seems to run fine. But when I run GBL the noise seems to occur. (here is an example: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105170287/whine.MOV )

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else? Not sure if there' s a problem with my GameCube. When I take the disc out which has the GBI loaded it still makes the sound, so I don't think it's the drive. I thought it was maybe the fan, but seems to be something internal to the gamecube.

Ok any info appreciated. Thank you!
Last edited by funkwad on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:33 pm

That's normal, and it was much worse before August.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:38 pm

@funkwad,

What kind of display are you using with your Framemeister? I have considered one, but I am still not convinced that it is better than using an RGB CRT.

Any idea where one can get an HDMI mod for GC? Of course, I have heard of GCvideo, but you would either have to make your own, or buy a premed one. I read about a plug and play solution, but never heard of it being released.

funkwad

Post by funkwad » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:03 pm

@Extreme - it's normal? Normal for GBi? I shared this with the videogameperfection guy and he said it was abnormal...but maybe he hasn't tested/used GBi

What in the world could be causing this? Just curious if it's a symptom that shows up in other circumstances with the GameCube, or if it's specific to running GBi, /homebrew/ or having a modded sys

@XC-3730C, I am using a samsung 42" relatively generic(UPDATE: Model: LN40B500P3F), I was getting the best I believe you can get with Framemeister (22ms). I understand the OSSC will improve on this down to 2ms...looking to pick that up too!

Also XC - checkout videogameperfection.com for HDMI Mod. He's taking pre-orders
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:39 am

It's like capacitor whine, it happens on my GameCube too when it's performing certain operations, but as Extrems says it should be considerably less evident in recent releases.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:55 am

It DOES use an AMD GPU, I guess it makes sense that it would have coil whine, haha.
funkwad

Post by funkwad » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Thanks everyone for weigh in on the AMD/'coil' issue...Not really a problem, just a notable thing. Does everyone experience this? Wondered if running GBi in a different mode might reduce this.

Also didn't realize we had 'The man' among us who created GBi..thx for the awesome work @Extreme!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:28 pm

• Fixed GameCube Controller hotplugging.
  • Fixed no GameCube Controller issue.
funkwad

Post by funkwad » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Pretty good video here, with some nice callouts to GBi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVX81e6Ig-s

Since I'm already running component and GBi , I think I have an ideal setup for GB games...I'm confused tho with HDMI options and how that may factor with GBi (can you even specify 240p over HDMI). Still would be nice to have an 'all in one' solution for GC games and GB games.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:42 pm

funkwad wrote:Pretty good video here, with some nice callouts to GBi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVX81e6Ig-s

Since I'm already running component and GBi , I think I have an ideal setup for GB games...I'm confused tho with HDMI options and how that may factor with GBi (can you even specify 240p over HDMI).
The HDMI mod loses a lot of its appeal when you've already got the overpriced component cables. Digital audio will not benefit you much for Gameboy games either (especially GBA). The question is how your setup is run- if you have a framemeister, I doubt it would look any better. If you're running straight into a TV, maybe.
Still would be nice to have an 'all in one' solution for GC games and GB games.
What do you mean by this?
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:58 pm

The HDMI mod is,still a much cheaper alternative than the overpriced component cables. When the HDMI mod is more readily available, it will have more of an appeal.

bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:13 pm

XC-3730C wrote:The HDMI mod is,still a much cheaper alternative than the overpriced component cables. When the HDMI mod is more readily available, it will have more of an appeal.

That's all true, but I was responding to funkwad in particular, who already has the component cables.

Unless you weren't responding to him and just speaking in general.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:17 pm

Yes, I was speaking in general. I see a lot of advantages to the HDMI mod. I am wondering if the plug and play HDMI adapter will be available. That would make the component cables obsolete, unless you are a collector. Plus I read somewhere the HDMI mod has options such as widescreen, OSD, and digital audio.

funkwad

Post by funkwad » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:09 pm

bobrocks95 wrote:
funkwad wrote:
Still would be nice to have an 'all in one' solution for GC games and GB games.
What do you mean by this?
Well, GameCube games at 480i and 480p running over HDMI are undoubtedly going to look better than running over official component cables to the Framemeister. (Framemeister has some disappointing results for GameCube and PS2 component inputs, to my eyes)

However running GBi over component cables at 240p looks as good as SNES RGB.

So it seems, a different connection is ideal depending on what you want (GameCube games vs. Game Boy / GBA games (via the Game Boy Player))

From what I gather, the quality/performance/capability specifically for Game Boy Player on Gamecube via HDMI may not be as good as using Component or RGB out to Framemeister or OSSC. I am very curious about trying OSSC component to see how it performs. I thought I may have read that it can handle 480i/p (somehow) perhaps via RGB?

Confusing topic
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:31 pm

XC-3730C wrote:Plus I read somewhere the HDMI mod has options such as widescreen, OSD, and digital audio.
The widescreen option is for TVs that don't allow aspect ratio control with HDMI inputs, it won't make a game render in widescreen. You can use Swiss for that.
funkwad wrote:Well, GameCube games at 480i and 480p running over HDMI are undoubtedly going to look better than running over official component cables to the Framemeister. (Framemeister has some disappointing results for GameCube and PS2 component inputs, to my eyes)

However running GBi over component cables at 240p looks as good as SNES RGB.

So it seems, a different connection is ideal depending on what you want (GameCube games vs. Game Boy / GBA games (via the Game Boy Player))

From what I gather, the quality/performance/capability specifically for Game Boy Player on Gamecube via HDMI may not be as good as using Component or RGB out to Framemeister or OSSC. I am very curious about trying OSSC component to see how it performs. I thought I may have read that it can handle 480i/p (somehow) perhaps via RGB?

Confusing topic
What you're seeing with the Framemeister is very likely its poor 480p handling rather than the input being component. The Framemeister is the top machine for 240p, but lots of people use something like a DVDO Edge for 480p stuff. HDMI being all-digital should look slightly sharper than component, but I haven't heard great things about the Framemeister's HDMI handling either. You likely won't see a huge quality jump, just keep that in mind.

I do believe OSSC takes 480i or 480p over its SCART connector, yes. There's a wiki for it you should be able to find if you want to know more. Your TV probably doesn't support its 720p mode though, so all it would be doing with 480p component from the Gamecube is converting it to HDMI, still outputting 480p. This probably isn't what you're looking for or you'd just be connecting your Gamecube straight to your TV over component.
funkwad

Post by funkwad » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:03 pm

bobrocks95 wrote: I do believe OSSC takes 480i or 480p over its SCART connector, yes. There's a wiki for it you should be able to find if you want to know more. Your TV probably doesn't support its 720p mode though, so all it would be doing with 480p component from the Gamecube is converting it to HDMI, still outputting 480p. This probably isn't what you're looking for or you'd just be connecting your Gamecube straight to your TV over component.
Good info - Thanks... yeah, I'm a little fuzzy on this mystic 720p output from OSSC and what TVs will or won't support it. I mean I could pickup another tv, but I don't even know what to look for. The Framemeister, seems to be pretty good , but I am curious about the OSSC, especially to play games that may need to switch resolutions. This is a bit off topic for this thread, so I apologize but it's worth noting in pursuit of getting the lowest latency and best quality output for GBA games via GBi. I am wondering if the OSSC looks better outputting 480i/p than the framemeister.