Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
ebj777

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by ebj777 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:07 pm

I'm having an issue getting GBI to take my parameters.

My GC is hooked up to a VGA CRT that is being fed 480p.

GBI defaults to a 16:9 aspect ratio when it detects progressive mode is being used. But my display is 4:3.

I took a notepad file, named it gbihf.cli and added:

--aspect=4:3
--scan-mode=progressive
--

I then booted gbihf.dol in SWISS.

But the aspect ratio is still square instead of rectangular like on a regular GBA display. This of course doens't happen when I hook it up to my 240p CRT. What am I missing here?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:12 pm

GBIHF doesn't support that option, and it's not possible for it to display in 4:3 in either 480p60 or 240p120.
Kyristor

Post by Kyristor » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I was hoping somebody could help me out, as I'm having troubles booting the GBA dump utility.
my setup is SWISS with GBI booted from the sd2sp2.

As I understand the Dump utility should boot without a game inserted or after long pressing the start+select buttons.
however this only triggers the gameboy logo without the nintendo logo (as if no game is inserted)
However I'm able to load the checksum utility when I launch gbisr

I did the following checks
- made sure that

Code: Select all

/GBI/default.mb.gz
exists
- tried with gbi.cli with the last line being

default.mb.gz
- tried with gbi.cli with the last line being

--default.mb.gz
could the problem be that GBI is not directly in the root of my sd card? currently it is as follows:

./GBI
./GBI/gbi.dol
./GBI/gbi.cli
./GBI/GBI/default.mb.gz
or could it be a problem with sd2sp2 not fully being supported for rom dumping?

Hopefully someone could help me out!
Thanks
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:36 pm

Kyristor wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:25 pm

./GBI/GBI/default.mb.gz
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface#Installation wrote:Important: GBI [...] must reside in the root directory.
Dracrius

Post by Dracrius » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:07 pm

When using the most recent gbi files with the most recent Swiss version I never get to choose setting before launching gbi through swiss despite the dcp's being present and if I try to open a dcp Swiss say it is an unsupported format.
sofakng

Post by sofakng » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:50 pm

This seems to be incredibly powerful but I'm a bit confused...

I'm using a GCDual and can output HDMI or RGB (OSSC). I'm also using an LCD (4K monitor) as my display.

Am I correct that the OSSC is much sharper than the GCDual/Video HDMI?

It looks like the GCDual/Video can output 320p but is terrible on my 4K monitor.

I've tested the OSSC (360p, line-tripled to 1080p) and it looks really nice. I just want to make sure I'm not setting anything incorrectly and using the optimal setup. Thanks!
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:12 am

I wanted to dump my GBPlayer bioses to compare them (because of SuperCard incompatibility), but don't manage to load the dumping utility, I have the chime when pressing start and select, but nothing more… :?
Edit: As for emulators, only have one SD card at a time connected to avoid oddities (in either slot A, B or SP2). And don't forget to quit the osd to press start and Z. :oops:
Dracrius wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:07 pm
When using the most recent gbi files with the most recent Swiss version I never get to choose setting before launching gbi through swiss despite the dcp's being present and if I try to open a dcp Swiss say it is an unsupported format.
Don't put the .cli preset file on the SD card if you want to use the .dcp menu, otherwise it won't show.
sofakng wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:50 pm
TVs may tend to interpolate and soften when upscaling, the more you multiply the lines before it is processed by the TV, the better!
In this situation, getting the ossc output to 1080 lines may give "blockier" pixels than 480lines (or even 720) off the GC HDMI device.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
protomog

Post by protomog » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:27 pm

Hello.

I'm relatively new to this, so I'm sorry for the stupid questions. I'm mostly just looking for verification that my config looks correct since I'm not 100% sure I know what I'm doing.

Currently going over the documentation, I'm looking to get GBISR running on my CRT via S-Video and I'm launching via Swiss and Action Replay/Gecko. My end goal is 240p60 and relatively accurate color and sound to the actual GBA. Swiss, GBI, and extras are in the root with swiss being autoexec. Given this, I'd need to create a gbisr.cli file with the following settings(?):

--lut3d=./GBI/lutrgb-gba.png
--sound=stereo,analog
From what I understand, I shouldn't need to include any video settings by default since the SR version runs at 240p60 NTSC. The main things I was wondering about were:
  • Old questions per edit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    For the path of the lut3d, given everything is in the root, do I need to specify the GBI folder or is it assumed by default?
    [*]It's hard to tell from the examples on the wiki (since my go-to to test color correction in emus is the first area in Golden Sun due to it almost being neon-yellow uncorrected), but are the lut3d files accurate to contrast/gamma/etc of the GBA itself, as well, or would I be better off using some of the example matrix configs and tweaking from there?
  • This is probably more of a general Swiss question, but would it be possible to create copies of the gbisr.dol named appropriately per settings (i.e. if I wanted separate configs with different lut3d values, could I have gbisr-gba.dol + gbisr-gba.cli with the settings above, and then a version with gbc settings for when playing GBC games rather than manually editing the gbisr.cli each time)? I'm guesstimating this based off the assumption that swiss loads .cli files based off of the .dol's filename.
Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: Looking above, it seems like I'd need to specify root, so I've updated my config and crossed off a question.
EDIT 2: Looks like I just needed to look around more since I found the answer to my second question, as well.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:06 am

Once your settings are validated, you can even concatenate your cli at the end of the corresponding dol, not to get too many files at the root of your SD card. 8)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Bozzy

Post by Bozzy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:13 pm

EDIT: figured out how to make it bigger, still need help on it not reading games though
i have gotten GBI to display on my HD TV by forcing swiss to display in 480p but is there any way to get gbi to fill more than a tiny box in the middle? i expect some black borders thats fine but its filling less than probably 1/6th of ym screen any way to make the image fill a bit more of the screen?

Also the gameboy player doesn't seem to ever successfully read any of my GBA, GBC or GB games at all though both my actual GBA SPs read them perfectly every time. Is my gameboy player faulty or is there any settings i need to change with swiss or anything i can change in GBI to fix this before i assume the player hardware is broken? I dont have an officialy gameboy player disc to test with unfortunately

Another Edit: some reason its suddenly decided to co-operate i have NO IDEA what caused the issue but its working so im not complaining.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:24 am

Set the format to 16/9 or even 3/2 if you really want to fill the entire field, then zoom to x3 (for GBA games, GB games will end up with black borders) and disable the overscan on the TV if possible. See video in signature, there are ways to stretch GBA and GC games to full video field.

You can use the GBP boot disc ISO via SWISS if you want, but there must not be more incompatibilities with the GBPlayer hardware than with the GBA, at least with genuine carts/games/hardware. ;)

When you buy or get back from the attic any piece of hardware, it is always safe to clean all the contacts (With isopropyl alcohol, for example) before use, and also the ones where it plugs on the host system if it's an hardware extension. :ugeek:

sofakng

Post by sofakng » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:11 pm

OK - Can anybody help me understand how everything is being processed?

If I understand correctly, Gameboy Advance games are natively 240x160. However, GBIHF outputs 480x360 (according to my OSSC).

1) Why doesn't GBIHF output native resolution and let the OSSC upscale?
2) Why does GBIHF output 480x360 and not 480x320 (i.e. 2x resolution) ?

I'm just trying to understand how everything works so I can understand the best settings, etc.

Thanks for helping me understanding!
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:16 pm

1) It's for speed accuracy and lowest latency possible, with as few line processing as possible done on the GC side, the OSSC can double or triple it once more at almost no time cost.

2) To get geometric accuracy with square pixels in 4:3, which is a standard TV screen ratio, and the good news is when you double 360 lines, you get 720, and when you triple, 1080, which are standard TV modes too.

Don't be annoyed by the lines loss, as even in 16:9, the more you can upscale with integer zoom from 160 lines to 1080, is factor 6 anyways.
If a way to zoom straight to 4K would've been available, you could've had a factor 13 zoom with less area loss. Still, if loosing space really bothers you and you don't care that much about integer scaling, geometric accuracy (and latency), you can try to feed a 480 lines in GBI SR (x3) mode (16:9 or even 3:2) in an upscaler at first.

Bozzy

Post by Bozzy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:53 pm

Ok i have a really confusing problem that i cant figure out how to fix. Earlier i said i couldnt get a display on my HD TV using GBI and a Carby HDMI adapter that i solved by forcing 480p using swiss, This solution worked when i tried it about6 times in a row.

Tried to use GBI today being a few days later now i have the same issue and forcing 480p no longer solves it my tv says unsupported solution, i have changed 0 settings in swiss and have even checked it still says force resolution 480p. any ideas what might be happening and how to fix this? i cant use GBI anymore and i can not get it to display at all.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:50 am

Bozzy wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:33 pm
I had an issue a few days ago using GBI on my Gamecube through Swiss, a Carby HDMI into my 24" Samsung HD TV, my tv said the resolution wasnt supported. In swiss i changed the force resolution setting to force 480p and it worked, i turned the console off and one about 10 times it worked 1st time every time. i've come back to play a GBA game a few days later with no different settings, i've checked that the force resolution 480p is still the same which it is, ive tried turning that setting to off then back to 480p and my tv still says its an unsupported resolution when it was before. What could possibly be happening? how can i fix it?

Please tell me in words someone who has never used swiss before will understand as i havent i bought a premodded gamecube that came with a swiss disk so this is all new to me any jargon i wont understand. If you need any further info to help diagnose please ask and i'll do my best to provide. Thank you.
Indeed, something changed between day one when it worked, and back then, when it didn't work anymore.
GBI resolution isn't forced/set up via SWISS's settings, but through a "menu" at launch when the corresponding .dcp file is present, or through a settings file if the corresponding .cli file is present.
First of all, if your TV says unsupported resolution, don't use a Digital AV out device for troubleshooting, until you master the settings (use the composite cable, for example). Or at last, force the linedoubling mode for 240p in the Carby settings, with noticeable scanlines to be able to display and identify this mode on your TV.

Oh, and there are many people here eager to help, that can be a little bored to do so if you spam around.
So if you bought an already set up combo, RTFM for SWISS, GCVideo, GBI (most in the GC-Forever WIKI, you'll learn much more than with just getting help from us here.

Bozzy

Post by Bozzy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:43 pm

I cant figure out what's changed and whatever it is has happened on its own as i havent messed with any settings anywhere, once everything worked i didnt dare change anything else, i dont see a dcp or cli file not sure how to create one and as for the GC-Forever wiki i've looked through it and not really found anything thats helped so far but it doesnt help that i dont know what im looking for as im not sure what the issue is, Im happy to read through a page myself if i could possibly please be directed to the correct page. Im happy to swap back and forth between my scart cable, composite and carby to change settings but i need to find out what these settings are that need changing and how to do so which as someone who has never done anything like this before its not exactly intuitive.
Bozzy

Post by Bozzy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:39 pm

Ive managed to find and download a version of GBI that comes with a .DCP file so when i load it it gives me settings to change using this i've managed to get it to display now i just need to find out how to zoom using the high fidelty version but i think the wiki says how to do this, i hope.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:58 am

What do you mean managed? It's right here.
thunderzap7

Post by thunderzap7 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:01 pm

After using GBI for about 40 minutes, a noticeable flicker is on my monitor. Goes away relatively quickly, but it is annoying. I'm using standard GBI, and this has occurred with Sharp, Soft and Normal filters. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the configuration I can change somehow, or my monitor (BenQ GW2780) is just extremely susceptible to image retention in however GBI displays video. Flicker isn't noticeable in actual gameplay, for the record. I've tried running the HF and SR versions with CLI files to zoom in, but the image is poor - and I'm not sure that would resolve this specific issue anyway. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:00 pm

Which video mode are you using? It's written in the top-right corner of the on-screen display.
thunderzap7

Post by thunderzap7 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:58 pm

3:2, 720x486p, 59.94. I should add that this doesn't seem to occur with Game Boy Color games at all.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:02 pm

3:2? I hope you're able to display that with square pixels.

Try this:

--dither=none
--input-gamma=1.961
If you're able to fully display 3x zoom and stick to it:

--filter=prescale
--dither=bayer8x8
thunderzap7

Post by thunderzap7 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:04 am

3:2 displays correctly on my monitor, yeah. Anyway, with some light testing that gamma adjustment seems to have fixed the issue. I did have to add --brightness=.15, otherwise it was far too dark. Thank you very much!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:20 am

thunderzap7 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:04 am
3:2 displays correctly on my monitor, yeah. Anyway, with some light testing that gamma adjustment seems to have fixed the issue. I did have to add --brightness=.15, otherwise it was far too dark. Thank you very much!
Far too dark? It should be brighter than default.

The default 2.2 gamma would lose the darkest shades with no dithering.
CarnalDevices

Post by CarnalDevices » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:33 pm

Greetings - my current configuration is GB w/ GBP using AR w/ SD Card and outputting through a 2.4c Carby (Using the latest versions of Swiss and GBI as of 2 days ago)

I would like to boot directly to the GBI without using Swiss.

If I boot to Swiss by renaming it to autoexec.dol - I can load GBI, GBIHF and GBISR without any problems.

If i rename gbi.dol to autoexec.dol -> No Signal

If I rename gbihf.dol to autoexec.dol -> No Signal

If I rename gbisr.dol to autoexec.dol -> Boots Fine

I would rather use gbi.dol over gbisr.dol, but I can't get it to boot without using Swiss.

Thanks in advance if anyone has some suggestions.