Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Extrems

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:42 pm

Enable progressive scan mode in a GameCube game.
CarnalDevices

Post by CarnalDevices » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:46 pm

Extrems wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:42 pm
Enable progressive scan mode in a GameCube game.
Can I do this with the AR disc in (hold B while booting) or do I actually have to use a Gamecube Game (I'm not sure that I even own one, I literally got a Gamecube for the Gameboy Player)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:51 pm

You can go into Swiss and set Swiss Video Mode to 480p. That'll set the flag in SRAM.
CarnalDevices

Post by CarnalDevices » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:54 pm

Extrems wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:51 pm
You can go into Swiss and set Swiss Video Mode to 480p. That'll set the flag in SRAM.
I'll give it try - Thank you for the reply.
CarnalDevices

Post by CarnalDevices » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:05 pm

Now that I'm booting straight into gbi.dol - I'd like to use the cli file with it. I assume that I'll need to create a dol + cli file?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:23 am

Yes, you have to append (concatenate) the .cli file to the .dol, and be sure whatever launches GBI supports it.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
CarnalDevices

Post by CarnalDevices » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:45 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:23 am
Yes, you have to append (concatenate) the .cli file to the .dol, and be sure whatever launches GBI supports it.
I'm using the Action Replay disk and booting autotexec.dol (gbi.dol), and this works great.

I grabbed a dol + cli file out of the presets folder, edited the command lines, and renamed that to autoexec.dol, but when it boots I get an image with a lot of screen flicker / diagonal rolling.
cadral

Post by cadral » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:44 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to have the best image possible for A gameboy color game.
I have a CARBY cable, GBI and SWISS on an SD card.
When I launch gbi.dol the image is not good and there is a "ghost" effect and color problem when I move the character(because it's in 480p?).
When I lanch gbihf.dol or the preset for carby it's looks good but the image is too small and centered, and can't use the zoom function like with gbi.dol.
I tried to modify the .cli file for the carby preset by adding --zoom=2:3 in it and saving the file, but it doesn't seem to be taken into account. What is the good process here to make this argument work ?

tldr : How to zoom the image for the carby preset or the gbihf.dol ?

Thanks..

EDIT : OK I have to concatenate the CLI and DOL, how to do this please ?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:30 am

CarnalDevices wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:45 pm
I grabbed a dol + cli file out of the presets folder, edited the command lines, and renamed that to autoexec.dol, but when it boots I get an image with a lot of screen flicker / diagonal rolling.
It's better to have a setup to launch from SWISS, so you can exit from GBI to SWISS to edit your CLI, then relaunch GBI…

Beware that preset files are optimized for some situations, with very fine tuning in some cases, than can be bothersome to handle to a different output chain than what was targetted by the said preset file.
cadral wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:44 pm
First it is highly recommended to check for the V3 of the carby firmware to use GBI, previous versions are known for causing problems.
Is your Carby connected straight to your TV? (You don't use any additionnal upscaler, m-cable or so…)
Are you sure it is real 480p, and not 480i or 240p that the Carby outputs as 480p (see its own settings).
The ghosting may be induced by the TV's own upscaler and temporal interpolation too, look for a game or PC mode to disable it.
GBIHF doesn't offer zoom option (see here), while 2:3 zoom value will get you something very weird on regular GBI, L/R buttons still will you let enlarge the GBC image, according to what the GBA does.

So to begin, just play with the regular GBI .DCP settings to see what suits you best, then, you'll be able to edit your own .cli for it.
Then, if you always run GBI from the SD in SWISS, you won't have to concatenate the files.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
cadral

Post by cadral » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:15 pm

Thanks a lot for your answer !!
Papy.G wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:30 am
First it is highly recommended to check for the V3 of the carby firmware to use GBI, previous versions are known for causing problems.
I bought my carby in october 2018 so I guess it's the V2... Seems complicated to update if you are not familiar with this kind of operations no?
Papy.G wrote:
Is your Carby connected straight to your TV? (You don't use any additionnal upscaler, m-cable or so…)
Yes for now, I ordered an mcable though, won't work well with GBI ?
Papy.G wrote:
Are you sure it is real 480p, and not 480i or 240p that the Carby outputs as 480p (see its own settings).

Not sure, I will check the carby settings next time I try
Papy.G wrote:
The ghosting may be induced by the TV's own upscaler and temporal interpolation too, look for a game or PC mode to disable it.

There is a Game mode on the TV, will try that.
Papy.G wrote:
GBIHF doesn't offer zoom option (see here), while 2:3 zoom value will get you something very weird on regular GBI, L/R buttons still will you let enlarge the GBC image, according to what the GBA does.

Well in GBIHF L/R buttons doesnt work to enlarge the GBC image that's my problem, It works only on regular GBI ...
Papy.G wrote:
So to begin, just play with the regular GBI .DCP settings to see what suits you best, then, you'll be able to edit your own .cli for it.
Then, if you always run GBI from the SD in SWISS, you won't have to concatenate the files.

OK clear ! Problem is that I can't get this ghosting issue get away with any option I try, but will continue testing
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:09 am

cadral wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:15 pm
I bought my carby in october 2018 so I guess it's the V2... Seems complicated to update if you are not familiar with this kind of operations no?
In fact, I just tested, seems I have no issues with GBI and my GC Plug/GCVideo v2.4c, settings are basically: PAL 60, Zoom x3, ratio 3:2.
But when it doesn't want to work, it can be quite complicated even for whom is familiar with doing this. (I experienced this with a friend of mine, engineer in µC hardware and software designing getting no way into programming my GCPlug.)
cadral wrote:Yes for now, I ordered an mcable though, won't work well with GBI ?
The way mcables are working is good at 3D rendered games enhancement, but may not match your expectations if you want big blocky pixels with sharp edges.
For example, I love the clean rendering for Gameboy games, while MKSC on a 48" display is disgusting this way unless you can play as far as 5 meters or more from the TV.
cadral wrote:There is a Game mode on the TV, will try that.
You must be aware that some games have some qwirks that are almost unnoticeable on the original hardware, that become very much apparent on the big screen. That's how I noticed that Castlevania on the GB has a very ugly-looking scrolling algorythm, and looking back at it on a DMG, I can see it, that's a part of what makes the game feel "sticky", if you have played this game at least once, you know what I mean.
cadral wrote:Well in GBIHF L/R buttons doesnt work to enlarge the GBC image that's my problem, It works only on regular GBI ...
Funny, I don't manage to get it working in the regular one, while in HF, this works! :?
Well, it might be better to forgetabout this function, as it is quite ugly looking in fact.

Koldur

Post by Koldur » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:03 am

omikes wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:50 am
Weario wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:20 pm
I'm currently waiting for Insurrection Industries to post their guide on how to update gcvideo so I can update to version 4.2b.
I mainly chose Carby because it allows updating using JTAG, but I unfortunatly have never done anything with JTAG so I don't know where to begin. =P
Meanwhile, this is my go-to way for playing Gameboy games, GBI is fantastic. =D
Nevermind, worked in the end, was pebcac, had to retrain the remote lol
DanMAk

Post by DanMAk » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:17 pm

Hi, someone know how to apply New borders in GBI? I have The GBI + Extras but I only have 8 borders option and I know there are 20
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:03 pm

You have to play with the settings in the .cli file as seen in the GBI Wiki:

--overlay=<path>, --no-overlay
Load texture palette (default: frame.tpl.gz).
--overlay-id=<ID>
Set texture palette index. The default is the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc's Frame setting (0 to 19).
--overlay-scale=<x:y>
Set texture scale (default: auto).

Don't know much about it as I tend to mainly play fullscreen, so never had to bother. :P

And please don't flood other threads with this same question where it is off topic.

claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:24 am

Hey everyone, I’m looking for some help on this.

I have a Gamecube that I exclusively use for GBI, and I’m looking to simplify the internals, and basically create a GBA Consolizer with my GameCube + Game Boy Player. I have removed the optical drive to save a lot of space, and now I’m wanting to shorten the console shell and make it more compact.

I’m deciding on if it would be acceptable to remove the fan all together. So I’m guessing the appropriate question to ask is if Gameboy Interface is in any way demanding on the console components. Could I expect the GameCube modules to heat up enough while only playing GBI?

I may not be in the right place for this one, but I appreciate any suggestions!

Forgot to mention, I only use Standard GBI in 480p (original component cables).
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:24 am

Yes, the standard edition maxes out the GPU.
bovined

Post by bovined » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:22 am

First I want to say thanks Extrems for this powerful piece of software. Love using it for streaming!

Sat down to update to latest version after a year or so and having some issues or maybe forgot some things too....

I have a GC with component to Framemeister and use game exploit to boot into 480p then run swiss to load gbihf.dol but I end up with no video and only audio. I then tried to load the gbihf-xrgb.dol+cli renamed to boot.dol but after booting the aspect ratio seems to be in 4:3 and not 3:2 as my circles are oval.

I tried to edit that dol to add format=3:2 but it does not seem to work.

In addition after I edited the file and saved it to memory card i keep getting dol invalid error in swiss.

Is there a different way I need to modify the parameters? I usually just use the preset but seem to have issues now.

Thanks for any help on this in advance!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:17 pm

You need to use the profile from FirebrandX in conjunction with that preset.
bovined

Post by bovined » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm

ah okay thanks Extrems I could not remember if that was required as part of it.

Also for the framerate mismatch judder what is the parameter and value to add and what exactly does it do do smooth it out? does it just set a locked 60fps?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:49 pm

Temporal interpolation is not available in the high-fidelity edition still.
bovined

Post by bovined » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:57 am

awesome thanks for confirmation!
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:31 pm

Hey everybody, I just had GC Dual with GC Video put into my GCN. For some reason, I start up GBI and my TV gives me a message asking me to change the source resolution. Any ideas why? Thanks!!
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:02 am

Very few TV sets support 240p through HDMI (even when they kinda support it on other input methods) so you have to set your GCVideo device to line-double 240p to 480p first. Then you may set GBI to output straight 480p.

claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:58 am

Stupid question but how do I set GBI to 480p? Is it a certain command that I append to the DOL?
Omnipresence

Post by Omnipresence » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:52 am

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to use the Super Game Boy palette option with the HF preset but can't make it work. I would have liked to use it with the hf-ossc preset. I added palette=0000-0000-0000 (with actual numbers of course) to the .cli file but only gets black and white when I press Left+B on startup. Is there something I'm not doing correctly ? Thanks !