Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Papy.G

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Papy.G » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:05 pm

Have a look at the Wiki, commands usage is well explained I guess, as I never dive into HF version tinkering.
claywilson95 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:58 am
Stupid question but how do I set GBI to 480p? Is it a certain command that I append to the DOL?
It depends how you load GBI, and what version you use. Typically, you set the options by hand at launch if you do it from SWISS and have the appropriate .dcp file, or you set in a text file with the .cli extension.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:20 pm

Omnipresence wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:52 am
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to use the Super Game Boy palette option with the HF preset but can't make it work. I would have liked to use it with the hf-ossc preset. I added palette=0000-0000-0000 (with actual numbers of course) to the .cli file but only gets black and white when I press Left+B on startup. Is there something I'm not doing correctly ? Thanks !
Your file should look like this:

Code: Select all

--format=hd60
--scan-mode=non-interlace
--palette=0000-0000-0000
--
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:57 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:05 pm
Have a look at the Wiki, commands usage is well explained I guess, as I never dive into HF version tinkering.
claywilson95 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:58 am
Stupid question but how do I set GBI to 480p? Is it a certain command that I append to the DOL?
It depends how you load GBI, and what version you use. Typically, you set the options by hand at launch if you do it from SWISS and have the appropriate .dcp file, or you set in a text file with the .cli extension.
I actually boot standard GBI, the most current version, from a standalone disc I made, no Swiss. I have a XenoGC chip and can use custom-made discs. So I’m trying to figure out what command I need to append to force 480p, because once I burn the disc, there’s no changing it, of course. I’ve been playing a guessing game of what command will not give me the error on my TV. I’ve read through the commands list on the Wiki, but I’m not sure which one I need. None of them specifically describe the proper 720x480p resolution that I need.

I’ve been using GBI this way for two years without problems. It’s just now that I have GC Video through my GC Dual, I am now having resolution errors with my TV.
Omnipresence

Post by Omnipresence » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:30 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:20 pm
Omnipresence wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:52 am
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to use the Super Game Boy palette option with the HF preset but can't make it work. I would have liked to use it with the hf-ossc preset. I added palette=0000-0000-0000 (with actual numbers of course) to the .cli file but only gets black and white when I press Left+B on startup. Is there something I'm not doing correctly ? Thanks !
Your file should look like this:

--format=hd60
--palette=0000-0000-0000
--
Yes, it's what I have. I tried two times more with different numbers and only got black and white, as if the palette line was ignored.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:58 pm

Which boot method are you using?
Omnipresence

Post by Omnipresence » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:10 pm

SD card with Action Replay boot disc.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:47 pm

If you're not using Swiss, you need to update the contents of the combined .dol+cli file.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:13 am

claywilson95 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:57 pm
I actually boot standard GBI, the most current version, from a standalone disc I made, no Swiss. I have a XenoGC chip and can use custom-made discs.

None of them specifically describe the proper 720x480p resolution that I need.
Omnipresence wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:10 pm
SD card with Action Replay boot disc.
You'd both better boot off from swiss or at least a memcard (GC MC, or SD), to test your settings.
To get 720x480, you'll have first to set your ratio to 3:2, but it is not a square pixel resolution if output on a 16:9. That's what I use as I consider the distortion tolerable.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Omnipresence

Post by Omnipresence » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:32 am

Extrems wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:47 pm
If you're not using Swiss, you need to update the contents of the combined .dol+cli file.
Oh alright, I has Swiss too but was still running the GBI separetely. It works now, thanks for the help !

(btw if anyone knows if there's a specific value in these codes governing the borders... I'd prefer them being black on my OLED, I know it's possible on the SGB but not sure we can do that with codes only)
mindscan

Post by mindscan » Thu May 27, 2021 10:35 pm

Hi, is there a good way to play GB Interface on Retrotink 5x yet? specifically with Carby Component??
I was using the special carby+ossc version of GBI with my ossc up til now, which also needs very specific timings on OSSC, but it obviously looks like crap on Retrotink5x lol
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu May 27, 2021 11:02 pm

Sorry, you'll have to ask Mike Chi.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri May 28, 2021 7:21 am

Omnipresence wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:32 am
(btw if anyone knows if there's a specific value in these codes governing the borders... I'd prefer them being black on my OLED, I know it's possible on the SGB but not sure we can do that with codes only)
--overlay-id=<ID>
Set texture palette index for graphic overlay. The default is the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc's Frame setting (0 to 19).

In my cli, I have "--no-overlay" and borders are black (if I don't put the Zoom values to 3 in 3:2, wich case I don't have borders at all).

timjb

Post by timjb » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:21 am

Hi. I've been using GBI through Swiss (with an AR SD media launcher) and it's been all good, but I'm running into an issue after installing an EON GCHD. It says GBI is running at 720x486, which is a non-standard resolution meaning I can't set scanlines etc. Is there something I can put in a .cli to make it run at exactly 720x480 (or another standard)?

My settings currently are:
--aspect=3:2
--offset=0
--zoom=3
--format=ntsc
--scan-mode=progressive
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:27 am

If you want scanlines, just use the scanlines filter?
timjb

Post by timjb » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:45 am

I didn't know there was one, but will look it up now. Thanks so much for the reply.
Strideristhebest

Post by Strideristhebest » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:58 pm

Can someone offer me some advice.
I keep up getting a blank white screen when using Game Boy Interface.
It's been randomly happening on and off over the weekend and I'm not sure what I'm doing to make it happen.
I loaded up Donkey Konga earlier and it said my memory card was formatted and asked me to wipe it, so I'm wondering if it's to do with that?
The Game Boy Inteface is loaded on a SD card as my drive has been removed.
Thanks in advance.

Edit
So I booted up a game boy game and that worked fine. I then tried Metroid again and it loaded. It then didn't load.
I then booted up Tetris again which booted immediately and then Metroid was fine again on the two times I booted it.

It just feels really flaky and I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing when I'm loading games.
mindscan

Post by mindscan » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:40 pm

HI, I've been trying to find a good way to run GBI thru my Carby Component cables into RetroTink5x, the cleanest sharpest picture seems to come from the gbihf-xrgb version, but theres a big black line thru the middle.
Any suggestions?
mindscan

Post by mindscan » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:43 pm

Mike Chi stated that he added support for 360p from GBI for the retrotink, but I don't really understand how to get it to output in that resolution
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:46 pm

It's futile, you won't be able to get around that problem with 360p.
mindscan

Post by mindscan » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:49 pm

Extrems wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:46 pm
It's futile, you won't be able to get around that problem with 360p.
well.. for 360p inputs he has added optimized sampling modes you can turn on..
but those aren't there for 240p modes..

if I run the gbihf carby+ossc DOL instead of the xrgb, I get a normal picture (no line down the middle) pixels are just a bit blurry in Generic 4:3.. using Saturn 320 mode it sharpens the left side quite a bit, but since its incorrect sampling the right half pixels are out of sync..
is there any way to get the gbihf carby+ossc DOL to output 360p instead of 240?

sorry if these are noob questions, im still kinda learning GBI, when i load normal gbihf, it doesn't seem to make any difference when I adjust settings upon loading the DOL, it just always loads in 480p...
I could however hex edit the carby+ossc DOL+CLI if i need to, im just not sure what to change here --scan-mode=non-interlace,no-clock2x,no-size2x
DragonQuarter

Post by DragonQuarter » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:46 am

Hi all! I've got the latest GBI but I'm still having trouble figuring out the right settings for sharp pixels with my current setup.

Current setup:
NTSC GCN with CARBY HDMI adapter (latest 3.0d firmware) with HDMI going into Magewell 1080p Pro Capture Card (PCIE)
Latest GBI and Swiss
OBS (for Capturing)
OBS Resolution set to 640 x 480 (please let me know if this is wrong)

Based on this Wiki my understanding is this:

*If I want to play on my 4KTV, I should run gbihf-gcdv-v3.dol+cli from the presets folder within Swiss
*However, when my GCN is plugged into the Magewell Capture card, I'm not entirely sure what I should run.

The Wiki mentions the following for video capture:
Video capture devices
These settings provide a 2× scaled image in a 3:2 480p59.94 video output.

If you're using GCVideo-DVI, under "Advanced settings", set "Digital color format" to YC422.

--format=ntsc,offset=0,scaled-size=0:0
--scan-mode=progressive
However, is there a pre-existing DOL + CLI file I should run on Swiss? I don't see anything correlating to video capture in the GCI presets folder, so I'm not entirely sure which DOL to run to attain these settings with my video capture. Based on this 2X image, I'm assuming OBS should be set to 640x480 canvas resolution (correct me if I'm wrong). And then from that recording I suppose I could upscale as needed. Thinking I should actually use VirtualDub2 instead of OBS but still figuring that out. At the very least I'd like to know how to achieve those video capture settings for GCI.
pedroTFP

Post by pedroTFP » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:55 am

Hi,
I just got in GBI and I had a couple of questions. I play on CRT (Sony PVM), so I'm using the default gbisr version except for setting it @240p60. Is that ok for integer scaling?
How can I play with no frame\change frame? "frame-srgb.tpl.gz" and "frame.tpl.gz" are in the root of the SD card but they do not appear in the option menu, nor there in an option to change frames.
How can I customize the option menu (add\remove options, change default settings etc...).

Thx!
Keiyuu

Post by Keiyuu » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:30 pm

Hi,
I'm a new GBI user and really loving it so far. I've managed to set up everything the way I want except for one issue.
I'd like to use the SGB palette option for my original GB games and while the palette does seem to work, it also colors the whole screen area around the actual Game Boy screen which is quite distracting.

I think what's happening is that it applies the palette to the GBA resolution instead of the smaller GB/GBC area because the colorized area seems to be the same size as a GBA game. Is there a way to only apply the palette to the actual GB area?

I'm using a PAL GC with an RGB cable through an OSSC, and the Hi-Fidelity version of GBI. My settings:

--format=hdcustom
--palette=7357-3573-5735

Two unrelated questions:
What color correction is more accurate for GBA, using GBA LUT or the color matrix option? For GBC there doesn't even seem to be a matrix option available.

Is it possible to use the more accurate 59.7276 refresh rate when using 360p through an OSSC instead of 59.762?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:53 pm

Keiyuu wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:30 pm
I think what's happening is that it applies the palette to the GBA resolution instead of the smaller GB/GBC area because the colorized area seems to be the same size as a GBA game. Is there a way to only apply the palette to the actual GB area?
This is applied through the 3D LUT system, so no.
Keiyuu wrote:
What color correction is more accurate for GBA, using GBA LUT or the color matrix option? For GBC there doesn't even seem to be a matrix option available.
You can get near identical results to the 3D LUTs by using equivalent --matrix and --input-gamma settings, but I suggest using the examples under color emulation. GBC has the same color gamut as the GBA.
Keiyuu wrote:
Is it possible to use the more accurate 59.7276 refresh rate when using 360p through an OSSC instead of 59.762?
Unfortunately 59.762 Hz is as close as it gets without variable refresh rate.
Keiyuu

Post by Keiyuu » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:46 pm

Extrems wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:53 pm
This is applied through the 3D LUT system, so no.
That's unfortunate. Would it be possible to solve this with an overlay? For instance, having an overlay that's fully black to cover the non-GB portion.

Extrems wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:53 pm
You can get near identical results to the 3D LUTs by using equivalent --matrix and --input-gamma settings, but I suggest using the examples under color emulation. GBC has the same color gamut as the GBA.
Hmm then why did Pokefan531 create different shaders for GBC and GBA color correction? Aren't the LUTs based on their work?
There's a clear difference between the GBA and GBC LUTs.
Spoiler
Show