Media Player CE

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
alzen

Re: Media Player CE

Post by alzen » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:47 pm

Of course there, when someone updates it.

But you shouldn't wait for it - proabably it will happen after Duke Nukem Forever 5.
Take a look at my YouTube channel - totally dedicated to retro shooters
MarioMania

Post by MarioMania » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:46 am

Back again

I been playing around with Media Player CE on the Cube

Yeah, Loading AVI Movies off the DVD drive would be cool
julius

Post by julius » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:50 pm

In my case I don´t play around with it: I use it every week to watch anime. Unfortunately I have to download it from certain site because it is mostly in .mp4 and Media Player CE has a little issue with .mp4; in your case you have tow options: modificate the application by yourself or try mfe-distro, wich lests you play media from dvd.
MarioMania

Post by MarioMania » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:02 am

I would want it to play DVD Movies off the Disk Drive
julius

Post by julius » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:36 pm

Here the configuration that better fits me to watch mp4 videos using Media Player CE:
-Video codec: 462H
-Video bitrate: 255 Kbps
-Resolution: 640 x 360
-Audio codec: FFAAC
-Audio bitrate: 100 Kbps
-Audio samples: 44 Khz, Stereo

With this configuration mp4 videos play without lags.
torturelabs

Post by torturelabs » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:47 am

MarioMania wrote:I would want it to play DVD Movies off the Disk Drive
Don't know why you want it so bad, it's a waste of media.
Even a modded cube that reads 4.7GB disks would have trouble since a small DVD converted file takes up about half the disk, which the GC laser isn't able to reach.
Lollonzo

Post by Lollonzo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:01 am

I have a Gamecube with a chip soldered on that can play backup discs.

Im trying now for a couple of hours to convert the mplayer.dol with some video files to iso and launch them via dolphin but i always get the message "SD/USB access failed".

How do i rewrite the program, that it reads directly from the disc?

Tried out mfe-distro also, but that freezes after the "Freeing unused kernel memory: 84k init" message
MarioMania

Post by MarioMania » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:17 am

I got MPlayer to work the last time I used it

But I got this

GizmoTheGreen

Post by GizmoTheGreen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:19 pm

Update for this when? :P
fatfs for exfat support and maybe newer mplayer version wouldn't be bad. just cause... :P
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:42 pm

I dunno, not even Game Boy Interface support exFAT yet.
Jweeber

Post by Jweeber » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:22 pm

I think it would be swell if the next mplayer update would support the wasp/wkf devices. Purely selfish request of course as I got one of the plug and play drive replacements sold by badassconsoles and think it would be neat to get that functionality from the cube. I don't know if the wasp/wkf, by nature of it's design, is purely limited to iso files or not as I'm just not that technically savvy. But if it is I would be completely fine with ripping a dvd with dvd decrypter and/or img burn to produce the necessary disc image. Also, as I actually still use the latest mplayer-ce (2011) to record to vhs and svhs through the svideo output, it is apparent to me that it is time to accept that the cube is very limited as what it can comfortably play back. As such if there is to be another revision or new peice of software I would propose culling the codec support down to the bare minimal. Limiting it to mpeg-2, ac3 audio, vorbis, mp3, and possibly h264. H264 does work well if you keep your encoding parameters sane. I think if just one one video and audio codec were chosen as the standard for gamecube video playback with the parameter to encode said video provided with the software it would eliminate a lot of the end user confusion/keep the community's expectations grounded in reality (no high def stuffs). I kinda favor mpeg-2 and ac3 for this but acknowledge their inefficiency and realize they would only be viable candidates for the hypothetical wasp/wkf/dvd drive accessible build due to increase read speeds offered by those devices due to the high bitrates involved.

If the wasp/wkf or even dvd drive support is just an unfulfillable fantasy then I concede that low bitrate h264 (max resolution of 640x480) paired with vorbis in an mkv container would be the way to go for the sd gecko as it provides the most bang for your buck. This is my tried and true combination for (s)vhs captures and works well for my meager purposes. I can provide my parameters for encoding for the cude through avidemux and handbrake and possible even ffmpeg if there is an interest.

The cube has great svideo output and I love how easily I can manipulate the image with mplayer-ce to perfectly meet my (s)vhs needs and even use some audio filters as well to boot. But going forward would the next piece of software need a fancy gui? Would a limited-codec-optimized ffplay be a more efficient choice? One that relied on a .cli file to direct it to what device the media was located and the name of the video/music file and what parameters were expected during playback such as offset, audio filters,zoom, etc? Just spitballin' here, I unfortunately don't have any coding skills but I did install the devkitppc with the gamecube group packages and would be willing to contribute my computers resources to attempt to compile stuff as well as test the dol on my hardware if such an interest arises.

Lastly, with the advent of the many hdmi solutions available is progressive playback of sd media a possibility? I have seen some dvd players in the past that purportedly play interlaced dvd content @ 24fps (23.976) and also wonder if the new hdmi adapters allow for dolby digital pass through to a audio receiver for decoding and producing the much loved 5.1 surround sound effect?

Anyway, yes I know there are much better and easier solutions to accomplish these goals, I'm just bored and happen to still love the cube. Thanks for reading.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Codec support was already stripped down to the bare minimum due to memory constraints.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:23 am

Probably not worth adding wkf/wasp support but the newer drive emulators in progress now would be worth adding. I'm sure we can do better so many years later in terms of memory management etc too, perhaps dedicated standalone DOL files that easily switch between etc
Jweeber

Post by Jweeber » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:13 am

Yeah, the o.d.e. being developed sounds awesome. Loving this gamecube renaissance.