shinehax - A Super Mario Sunshine (PAL) Save Exploit

Discussion / Support for Softmods (SDML, AR, Game Hacks)
Noki Doki

shinehax - A Super Mario Sunshine (PAL) Save Exploit

Post by Noki Doki » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I found a save exploit in Super Mario Sunshine, here it is: https://github.com/QbeRoot/shinehax-gc

It only works on PAL and you need to disable 60Hz mode beforehand.

Usage: just turn on the game with that save, it’ll show the usual Nintendo and Dolby logos, then automatically load boot.dol from the memory card.

Enjoy!
Extrems

Re: shinehax - A Super Mario Sunshine (PAL) Save Exploit

Post by Extrems » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:19 pm

Neat.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:06 am

Very cool, the more the better :)
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:34 am

Wow! For a first exploit, it's not bad, it may even be the fastest Exploit ever! 8-)

Though it's breaking my SMS disc that lead me to try and load Homebrew/ISO, so I don't have any working physical copy of SMS (I don't want to pay the silly price asked for used copies which is currently twice the price I bought mine brand new!), my disc doesn't get past Nintendo logo, it then shows a Disc error message. I'll give it a try anyways, but i don't expect it to work.

Something bugs me, sometimes games just boot into 60Hz mode, hope it's something that lays in the specific game's save.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Noki Doki

Post by Noki Doki » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks! :D

The disc error messages are vulnerable too fwiw, but all I was able to do was replace them with my own text, so it wouldn’t get you very far… Have you tried booting up your disc with different system languages? It sounds like the error happens because of the 60Hz mode prompt, maybe the French file is corrupted but another language might work?

Speaking of 60Hz mode, I’m not sure where the setting’s stored (not in the save anyway) but once you set the game into 50Hz it never asks you again unless you boot up the game while holding B.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:45 pm

It's saved in the RTC-DOL's SRAM.
Ikewise

Post by Ikewise » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:48 pm

This is the fastest exploit I've tried, very cool!

Too bad that everytime you play a game in 60hz, you'll have to set your GC back to 50hz before using it again.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:19 pm

So, my SMS disc is too destroyed, it stalls to Nintendo Logo (but no error message), tried every language possible to no avail.

Seems that 480i mode in NTSC games doesn't update the setting in the console SRAM (only tested with Crazy Taxi), so if you play those games you won't have to set the console back to 50Hz. Didn't test with the progressive option though. Forcing Pal games to 60Hz with SWISS seems to set it in the console too (unless there are exceptions, I only tested that with SMS and SMKDD).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:25 pm

Swiss will set it whenever you're forcing a video mode.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:13 pm

Can somebody test if PAL SMS is booted off an NTSC console (chip modded), if the hack works, and if SWISS boots to default 60Hz?
How is the 50Hz flag used on those consoles?

In fact, this hack is for those mostly playing on CRT, or only NTSC games.

mj_judge

Post by mj_judge » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:14 am

Hey there, I have both JDM and US gamecubes (though I do believe they are internally the same besides jumper configuration) I also happen to have a PAL copy of Super mario sunshine somewhere but there not chipped, I can boot it with a freeloader but not sure if they will force any kind of resolution changing or what not so probably not going to be a valid result but i can give it a go if youd like to know what happens.
UmbreonDC

Post by UmbreonDC » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:30 pm

Noki Doki wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:33 pm
Hi everyone,

I found a save exploit in Super Mario Sunshine, here it is: https://github.com/QbeRoot/shinehax-gc

It only works on PAL and you need to disable 60Hz mode beforehand.

Usage: just turn on the game with that save, it’ll show the usual Nintendo and Dolby logos, then automatically load boot.dol from the memory card.

Enjoy!
Hello, is it possible to make compatible the NTSC-U version or the game Ed, Edd'n Eddy The mis-Edventures?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:44 pm

No. This can only ever work with the PAL version.
UmbreonDC

Post by UmbreonDC » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:21 am

Change the save region and when you remove the subtitles and save it crashes, I don't know how this exploid works but I think there is something here, or it seemed, you read it at the beginning and when saving it crashes, well, I tried. (hahaha, it was silly)
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:27 am

It is all explained in the dedicated post: Pal Games usually can support six languages, SMS only has five, but setting the sixth in the save's conf part, it points to somewhere arbitrary code can be feed to the CPU for execution. Or someting close to that, I don't know and understand much in programming such generation architectures.

cuboidsquared

Post by cuboidsquared » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:56 pm

I'm having issues with this method am I missing something?
I used a xeno with a copy of swiss and moved the softmod from sd2sp2 to a fresh memory card (not official I'll try a 251 official card next)
the exploit copied over perfectly the mod seems hit & miss for some reason, It locks at the nintendo logo from time to time if the memory card is inserted, if it's removed the game boots perfectly every time
I'm going to readjust my pot back to a high number that still reads games
as I had to use a burnt disc to load swiss to copy over the softmod

if I remove my card the game boots perfectly
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:44 pm

Did you put a dolancher on the memcard, so that SWISS can be loader off the SD card?

If yes, you may try to copy the savefiles with GCMM instead of SWISS.

Try to run SMS without any card, press B at launch, and select 50Hz, then, turn off the GC, and put all the stuff to boot the exploit.

cuboidsquared

Post by cuboidsquared » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:19 pm

I didn't use dolauncher I honestly don't know what that is I've only ever used a xeno & burnt disc and that was only to load the Gameboy interface disc it's only recently I've managed to get Swiss to work, I seem to have made some progress
If I remove my wavebird and memory card the disc boots then xeno seems to load a shell to boot into pal.
Kudos to noki for a very good method.

The console is pal, the game is retail.

Now I'm not sure if my xeno is actually causing issues or not but if I plug a controller I'm able to bypass the xenoshell screen and the game autoboots. My wavebird has to be unplugged and plugged back in for it to work for anything which never used to happen so I'm lost why this is happening all of a sudden, I believe when I readjusted my pot upto 220ohm it lost the settings for making mario 50hz and think I've sorted this issue now.

It's certainly not my Lazer being faulty but when I was booting swiss of burnt media my Lazer was 160ohm and it was hit and miss loading due to the cheap and possibly poor discs.

Now my only option to boot swiss is via this exploit after readjusting my Lazer to a safer ohm, it uses the memcard in slot a to boot swiss I *think* swiss loads off the card then reboots from sd2sp2 so for now it's sort of working and shinehax is a fast softmod,
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:48 pm

No, it's:
SMS -> Loads code off its hacked save
Hacked save -> Loads Boot.gci off the memcard (Boot.GCI is a .dol small enough to fit on a Memcard, converted to .gci with dol2gci, could be any homebrew, SWISS, GBI, or a "dolauncher)
Dolauncher -> Loads a .dol off a volume connected to the EXI bus, can be autoexec.dol, Boot.dol, IPL.dol, and from an SD card in memcard slot, in SD2SP2, from a hard drive in IDE-EXI adapter, from a network volume connected with a BBA, all that depending on the dolauncher flavour you choose.
The Dolauncher limits the need to update the file on the memcard, just needing to refresh the SWISS file on the SD card from time to time.

If you only have an exploited save on the memcard, and nothing undrer the name of boot.gci, you won't get farther than a black screen or rebooting console forever.

Hope so many attempts didn't get you to fry the lens. :?

If the Xeno messes with your Controller, maybe you can rip it off the console in the end. It may be safer to have another way to install an exploit. (more than one exploited game, a second memcard with backup exploit, a GC-compatible Wii…)

cuboidsquared

Post by cuboidsquared » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:58 pm

The memcard has the exploit & boot.gci (swiss) it loads fine then it black screens and loads swiss from my sd2sp2 port.

I don't have any memory card as adapter it hasn't arrived yet so gcmm will not work, but sd2sp2 copied the exploit to the memory card fine.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:43 pm

There's an experimental .g version of GCMM that support SD2SP2. ;)

Anyways, if you were able to copy SWISS as boot.GCI, you may be able to put a Dolauncher instead as well.

cuboidsquared

Post by cuboidsquared » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:16 am

Ok so upon further investigation here's what I've personally found with my GameCube and this hack.

If my cube loses AC (I unplug or powercut) sunshine will ask if I want to load 50hz or 60hz.
If I leave the memory card plugged in with shinehax on powerup I do not get the option to select 50hz or 60hz which results in a failed attempt and my cube just black screens.
If I leave my wavebird adapter plugged in I have to remove and replug the dongle for it to communicate with my cube (tried 3 different wavebirds same result with each) this doesn't happen with a standard controller.
If I do not have any controller plugged in at all my xeno seems to load xeno shell, it only shows the @ symbol when I get a read failure or it'll convert the region to pal and load the game (pal system anyway?).
So for me to have success in loading this hack I usually have to power up without the shinehax card plugged in, select 50hz power off plug the card in and power back on.

Even though this routine seems long winded it seems to load quicker than a burnt copy of Swiss for me.

Would someone be able to point me to reasons my wave birds stop working until a remove & replug the dongle?
Also is there a way I could load shinehax & smaller dol than swiss?

IE, shinehax loads small dol loader which loads swiss direct from my sd2sp2? My sdgecko arrived yesterday so I could easily use another card in that slot (my plan is to have Japanese isos & ROM hacks on the sdgecko and my main isos on the sd2sp2)

I'm unsure of the dolauncher and I need to read up about it, also any other dol files would be awesome anything to play about with.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:28 am

This setting must be saved even after a powercut. Does your GC manages to save date and time, and still be on time when powered back after one day off? If not, you'll have to change its RTC battery, that helps keeping some settings as well.

If it keeps time, try to setup the IGR in SWISS, so that you can boot a PAL game to set the console back to 50Hz, before leaving it (when you had used a PAL60 compatible game in 60Hz).

Are those Wavebirds you have "real" Wavebirds? (IE: genuine Nintendo ones)

I didn't expect using a xeno would have been so tricky, glad I kept all my cubes genuine!

The bigger of the dolaunchers I've been able to test was 18 blocks, uncompressed, and with SD2SP2 support.

There's a dolauncher that allow you to choose straight from the boot which dol you want to load among 12, depending on the controller button you press on boot. I have used one of these, but never tried this specific feature.

I would love to do a complete roundup of all the dolaunchers that were made available to me, but don't know how to do because of the copyrights and don't want to be blamed if I do something wrong about it. Also, some of the dols haven't been publicly released.

cuboidsquared

Post by cuboidsquared » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:23 am

Yeah it doesn't seem to save the 50hz option is im not sure if it's due to some swiss settings on the SD card(s) so what I'm going to do is remove the ini & patches folders to start again, could it be possible my GCvideo is doing something? Possibly...

Incidentally I got gcmm1.4g & my sdgecko arrived the same day.
So now I have all my Japanese isos on the sdgecko & us on the sd2sp2.

I'm using iplboot on a genuine memory card,
I also have igr.dol setup but sometimes it seems to freeze or not work and I have to re-softmod my system

I've also noticed another thing that in some games when you force swiss to load 480p the game sound & music is distorted and the only fix I've found is unplugging and replugging the GCplug.
I'm unsure if this is a Swiss or GCvideo issue or my rubbish tv.

I also get a lot of "too many patches" and the only way around this is to reload swiss.

All of my wavebirds are genuine, so I either have some weird issue with all 3 or something else is at play here.

I think my main thing to do is reset everything and start with just the softmod and RGB scart and continue to add more bits
cuboidsquared

Post by cuboidsquared » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:31 am

I'll just quickly add: I'll test on a non modified GameCube tonight and see if it's actually my modded cube or the GC video