Using a WODE on Wii with Swiss

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
andzlay

Using a WODE on Wii with Swiss

Post by andzlay » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi there,

a friend of mine is getting a wode for his Wii. I'm now thinking what would be the best way to use it.
The main use case is to play Gamecube games of the WODE. Maybe some Wii games too, but GC is the main goal.
The Wii has no Homebrew Channel installed yet, but I'm planning to do so.

I assume that Swiss is not compatible with Wii games, so installing Swiss with autoboot on the WODE is not really an option.
Can I just start Swiss as a .dol from the Homebrew Channel from the internal SD card and use it to browse the games on the WODE? Is swiss working, if it's launched in Wii-mode?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Using a WODE on Wii with Swiss

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:47 pm

andzlay wrote:Hi there,

a friend of mine is getting a wode for his Wii. I'm now thinking what would be the best way to use it.
The main use case is to play Gamecube games of the WODE. Maybe some Wii games too, but GC is the main goal.
The Wii has no Homebrew Channel installed yet, but I'm planning to do so.

I assume that Swiss is not compatible with Wii games, so installing Swiss with autoboot on the WODE is not really an option.
Can I just start Swiss as a .dol from the Homebrew Channel from the internal SD card and use it to browse the games on the WODE? Is swiss working, if it's launched in Wii-mode?
I used to use a WODE daily on my Wii a few years ago, I'd run one of those Wii-flow WODE edition loaders for it - it worked for GC games too but for those it would just reboot the GameCube. It'd be cool if it could just mount the ISO and then make Nintendont use it like a real drive or something though.

I don't really see a reason to use Swiss on the Wii, it's more trouble than it's worth and not really supported/tested so you will probably run into bugs/issues.
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:39 am

I remember there was "wodeflow", but I never bothered, because my wode is in my GC.
If I use Swiss only for GC Games (mainly to apply cheats on them) and Wodeflow for Wii games, I should be fine right? I thought Wii in GC mode is working exactly like a original GCN, isn't it?
Or is there a better way to apply Cheatcodes on GC games on a Wii?
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:01 am

Just wondering, why a wode when you can use USB loader GX and nintendont?
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:12 pm

@streetwalker does that support to patch in Cheat codes? Do you need to rip the isos on the wii for nintendont? I remember there was some GC ios for the Wii that forced you to put in the original disc in once for some kind of Legitimation to prevent illegal copies. Kind of lame, never wanted to bother with that.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:13 pm

That's Devolution, and it's not a cMIOS. Nintendont doesn't care about that and it does support cheats. That's kind of the point of it.
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:57 pm

Oh, cool. Well the WODE is already installed in the Wii now ;)
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 am

Just to give an update for anyone looking into information on this: I use the WODE on the Wii with Swiss autoboot installed, works flawless so far. I use the same Swiss versions I have on my Game Cube. Some older 0.3 build (r174) that still supports WODE and autoboot and a newer 0.4 build (r296 on an sd gecko) that supports cheats.
Last edited by andzlay on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:33 am

0.4 still supports wode, press Z on the device selection screen.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:55 pm

andzlay wrote:Just to give an update for anyone looking into information on this: I use the WODE on the Wii with Swiss autoboot installed, works flawless so far. I use the same Swiss versions I have on my Game Cube. Some older 0.3 build that still supports WODE and autoboot and a newer 0.4 build (on an sd gecko) that supports cheats.
Could you go into the "Info" section of Swiss when the wode is connected/current device and let me know what it shows there for "DVD Drive" version?

There's some crude detection in the latest Swiss 0.4 code to auto-detect if a WODE is present but it currently assumes one hardcoded drive version response from it: https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/bl ... ODE.c#L132
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Streetwalker wrote:0.4 still supports wode, press Z on the device selection screen.
I know, I'm actually using 0.4 for applying cheat codes on some games. I think there was either a bug, that WODE was not working or that I couldn't get the swiss ISO to autoboot.
emu_kidid wrote: Could you go into the "Info" section of Swiss when the wode is connected/current device and let me know what it shows there for "DVD Drive" version?
It's a friend's Wii, I'll ask him to take a photo.
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Hey!
I got the photo with the DVD drive version: It says 07 2008/14 (41).
It's from swiss 0.3 r174 autobooted from the WODE.
26853456_1597711963640410_1677786737_o.jpg
(157.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:25 am

OK - so it should've detected it :(