Need Assistance - Swiss Via Wii HomeBrew and Lots of Questions

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
Exile

Need Assistance - Swiss Via Wii HomeBrew and Lots of Questions

Post by Exile » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:12 am

Recently, I soft moded my Wii. I have an RVL-CPU-40 so, I have Gamecube Hardware and ports on my Wii. XD. I also have in my possession a Wii Dual board that I am planning to solder into place once I get my replacement Soldering station. This will give me dual AV out, one HDMI and one via HD retrovision component cables for the Wii.

Anyway, back to why I am really here...

I used the following guides by Modern Vintage Gamer to soft mod my Wii...

1.) The Nintendo Wii Shop is going offline forever. How to play WiiWare games in 2019 | MVG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFuFuUFHag

&

2.) Online with the Nintendo Wii in 2019 | MVG
https://youtu.be/VytQlGRq3jo

Mario Kart Wii in 2019 = Good times.
https://wiimmfi.de/game

On top of all of this... I acquired a game lot of RE games for the Gamecube off of ebay. They were in excellent condition too I am so happy about it. In particular, I acquired RE2 and I am really excited to play it again. However, I want to use Swiss to force 240p output to a CRT display I have. John, DF Retro John, recommends this as something you should try if you have the equipment to do so, so I am really wanting to try it.

Here is John's video...
https://youtu.be/9J716rqAPCU?t=1736

He mentions what I am talking about at Video timestamp 30:46 +.

However, I can't seem to get Swiss to work through the Wii's homebrew. I can see the booter application for Wii consoles in the Homebrew Channel list but when I use it, all that happens is my Wii just reboots to the Wii menu, it doesn't boot into the Swiss menu or anything. All guides I have found on it... They are just so broken and confusing I can't make heads or tales of what is going on in them or how I can adapt what I currently have setup via Modern Vintage Gamer's Guide to get Swiss working as well.

I thought maybe I need to have a special SD to Gamecube memory card adapter with Swiss loaded on that... So I bought this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1 ... UTF8&psc=1

It's a cheap Chinese knock off thing but, upon investigating the PCB after it arrived... I have noticed that it doesn't seem to follow the same wiring diagram posted here, or at least it doesn't seem like it maybe I am wrong. I am not an engineer nor have I started going to school for that...

https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDGecko

So, I am quite worried about using this item. I don't want to damage my Wii as it is currently my only saving grace in today's loot box filled gaming era. I thought I would come on here, gc-forever forum, to ask you guys. Are my worries are justified or I am just being paranoid with this Wii SD memory card thing? If needed I can make my own, I was just trying to save myself some time and effort by finding one premade for that purpose.

I also have an Action Replay Disc in case it's needed for whatever reason. I know there are some GC homebrew hacks that require an Action Replay disc to take advantage of certain exploits.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... =UTF8&th=1

At this point I am not even sure if me using one of the SD Memory cards is the right way to go and would really appreciate it if someone could help point me in the right direction and correct me so I can get to playing RE2 via Swiss 240p out.

Thank you for your time and help,
Exile
Attachments
IMG_1300.jpg
View of the SD card Slot
(1.6 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_1299.jpg
Back Side
(1.61 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_1298.jpg
Front Side
(1.69 MiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Need Assistance - Swiss Via Wii HomeBrew and Lots of Questions

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:59 am

I haven't run Swiss on a Wii in years but there were these "Wii Swiss Booter" applications people used to make for it, I believe it would switch the Wii over to GameCube mode and then look for a .dol on a SD Gecko (plugged into one of the memory card slots) perhaps. The problem is that Swiss is written to run in GameCube mode and all your softmodding would be running in Wii mode so you need a way to boot into GC mode + boot Swiss.

When you manage to get that all done, I'm not even sure if the 240p patches will work on a Wii either.

Sorry I can't be much help, there might be others here with answers!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:02 am

It put the DOL at a fixed location in memory, which was then relocated once in GameCube Mode.

240p works fine.
Exile

Post by Exile » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:21 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:59 am
I haven't run Swiss on a Wii in years but there were these "Wii Swiss Booter" applications people used to make for it, I believe it would switch the Wii over to GameCube mode and then look for a .dol on a SD Gecko (plugged into one of the memory card slots) perhaps. The problem is that Swiss is written to run in GameCube mode and all your softmodding would be running in Wii mode so you need a way to boot into GC mode + boot Swiss.

When you manage to get that all done, I'm not even sure if the 240p patches will work on a Wii either.

Sorry I can't be much help, there might be others here with answers!
As stated previously, at least I think I did, I have the Wii Swiss Booter installed and it does show up properly in the Homebrew Channel List. The problem is when I hit the launch on the Wii Swiss booter, it just reboots back into the Wii Main Menu. It doesn't boot into Swiss. I thought it was because I needed an SD Gecko in the 2nd Memory card slot but I am not sure and I can't for the life of me find a proper guide for doing it. Hence the reason I am asking here on the GcForever forums, in the hopes someone else has tried and already figured out everything so I can listen to what they have to say to get it going.

Can I use that SD to Memory card I linked?
Is it wired properly?
How do I setup the memory card so it will boot up Gamecube homebrew when the Wii boots into the Gamecube OS?

Any help with these questions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Exile
Last edited by Exile on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exile

Post by Exile » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:26 am

Extrems wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:02 am
It put the DOL at a fixed location in memory, which was then relocated once in GameCube Mode.

240p works fine.
You are speaking a totally different language and I have no idea what you are saying with your post.

What is a DOL? Is that a file format the Gamecube used?
Fixed location in memory? How would I do that? What memory? The Wii's Nand?

Your reply is just so vague I can't really understand what you are trying to say.

I know 240p works, even on Wii, I have seen and heard people post about it and saying it was cool.

My questions were...

1. Is that SD to Gamecube Memory card I linked on Amazon safe to use?
2. How do I boot into Swiss via Wii Homebrew using the Swiss booter application? When I try... It just resets my console and it never boots into the Gamecube OS or Swiss.
My wii is already soft-modded with a custom IOS, I just need to know how to take my existing Soft Modded Wii and How to get that to Boot Swiss on it.

Hopefully, I have cleared things up and it's easier to understand what I am asking.

Thanks,
Exile
Exile

Post by Exile » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:34 am

So after looking it up. I have found out that .DOL is the Gamecube .exe format. Had no idea. Learn something new everyday.

Mind you, I only recently played my first GC game. Back in the day, I skipped the Gamecube as I was on PC playing Old School MMO's, (Planetside - Dominions of Anarchy(NC Outfit) - Markov - PreBFRs). The same goes for Wii. I skipped out on the Wii back in the day but, I did pick up a Wii a few years into it's life cycle, and I never used it until. Well at least not till recently that is. It is my way of getting away from the Loot Box Filled games era. I get away by going back to a set of consoles I never got to really play from back in the day. So far, I am super happy with what I've played on the GC, Star Wars Rouge Squadron 2, and Wii, Super Mario Galaxy. Super fun.

- Exile
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:51 am

It looks like you'll just need Swiss in the correct spot on the SD memory card adaptor. Yep that SD card adaptor is fine too. Is there any sort of readme with Wii Swiss booter?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:11 am

Welcome here, I have some of the gear similar to your setup, and I have to answer to some questions for which you may find wrong answers around the net:
You don't need to homebrew your Wii to play Wii games Online, nor to run Swiss on your Wii, neither to setup a gamexploit for your GC's memcard.
Less than $10 is quite cheap, still Amazon charges 3x the price for what it is. It's cheap, for sure, but it just works. Look here, it should be quite the same.

Confirmed the Wii can output 240p via SWISS setup. ;)

If all you want to do is run SWISS either on your Wii or GC, just set up a GamExploit on a memcard, to boot SWISS off an SD into your WiiSD adapter.
For that, no need for a homebrew Wii, just use the letterbomb hack, when preparing the folder on the letterbomb internet page, don't tick the option to add hackmii. Then, in the folder, you'll have to add GCMM as boot.dol instead of hackmii, with your gamexploit (hacked save) and a DoLauncher in the MCBACKUP folder. With the prepared SD card in the Wii's slot, and a GC MemCard in one of the Wii's slots, open the letterbomb, then, choose GCMM, and restore the two files on the MemCard.
I have tried and not managed to run SWISS straight off the Letterbomb hack, it doesn't work. If you're unsure of what you do and don't want to brick your Wii, use the Wii's GC compatibility mode to run SWISS, it will be just fine.

One of your console is RGB able? If no, how would you connect one to the CRT for 240p?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Exile

Post by Exile » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:02 am

Papy.G wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:11 am
Welcome here, I have some of the gear similar to your setup, and I have to answer to some questions for which you may find wrong answers around the net:
You don't need to homebrew your Wii to play Wii games Online, nor to run Swiss on your Wii, neither to setup a gamexploit for your GC's memcard.
Less than $10 is quite cheap, still Amazon charges 3x the price for what it is. It's cheap, for sure, but it just works. Look here, it should be quite the same.

Confirmed the Wii can output 240p via SWISS setup. ;)

If all you want to do is run SWISS either on your Wii or GC, just set up a GamExploit on a memcard, to boot SWISS off an SD into your WiiSD adapter.
For that, no need for a homebrew Wii, just use the letterbomb hack, when preparing the folder on the letterbomb internet page, don't tick the option to add hackmii. Then, in the folder, you'll have to add GCMM as boot.dol instead of hackmii, with your gamexploit (hacked save) and a DoLauncher in the MCBACKUP folder. With the prepared SD card in the Wii's slot, and a GC MemCard in one of the Wii's slots, open the letterbomb, then, choose GCMM, and restore the two files on the MemCard.
I have tried and not managed to run SWISS straight off the Letterbomb hack, it doesn't work. If you're unsure of what you do and don't want to brick your Wii, use the Wii's GC compatibility mode to run SWISS, it will be just fine.

One of your console is RGB able? If no, how would you connect one to the CRT for 240p?
"You don't need to homebrew your Wii to play Wii games online."
So how would I connect online to the Nintendo network that no longer exists for the Wii? Very confusing what you are saying.
Anything that is user created unsigned code is homebrew. So, wiimmfi is homebrew whether or not people want to classify it as such.

"Confirmed the Wii can output 240p via Swiss setup. ;)"
YES! I knew it. Lol. Awesome. Thank you for clearing that up. Now if only I could get Swiss to boot on my Wii everything would be great.

"If all you want to do is run SWISS either on your Wii or GC, just set up a GamExploit on a memcard, to boot SWISS off an SD into your WiiSD adapter."
That's great and all but,.... How? If I go to the source forge pages on Swiss there is no readme or anything that explains how I should get it going on my Wii/Gamecube.
Well at least not that I was able to see.

Letterbomb Hack = Allows users to run unsigned code on their Wii. Aka the Homebrew channel.
I already letterbombed my Wii and I did tick the hackmii as shown by Modern Vintage Gamer's Youtube Video.

See here...

https://youtu.be/FHFuFuUFHag?t=297

How do I get Swiss to run without having to re-Letterbomb my Wii? I like what I currently have setup, I just want to add Swiss to what is currently setup.

"Then, in the folder, you'll have to add GCMM as boot.dol instead of hackmii, with your gamexploit (hacked save) and a DoLauncher in the MCBACKUP folder."

( Imitates a rocket flying over head ) You completely lost me. I am not a computer or software engineer.
Game exploit? What game?
DoLauncher in the MCBACKUP? @_@

So, I tried using that Chinese knock off SD to Gamecube memory card.... I don't recommend it.
It damaged my ports T_T and also did quite a bit of damage to the SD pins.
DO NOT USE OR PURCHASE THIS...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1 ... UTF8&psc=1

Instead... Buy this...

https://www.codejunkies.com/Products/SD ... 0580V.aspx

and follow these instructions...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gamecube/comme ... ew_set_up/

Sad day... Now I have to figure out how to fix the damaged ports. Sigh...
Exile

Post by Exile » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:08 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:51 am
Yep that SD card adaptor is fine too.
It's not. Do not use it. Damaged my ports.
Exile

Post by Exile » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:13 am

I am going to try just burning one of the Swiss ISO's to a disc to see if I can boot it that way. Sigh. I will need to go buy some DVDs tomorrow. Hopefully it works.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:13 am

Exile wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:08 am
emu_kidid wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:51 am
Yep that SD card adaptor is fine too.
It's not. Do not use it. Damaged my ports.
It's the adapter everyone uses. It's fine.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:23 am

Exile wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:02 am
"So how would I connect online to the Nintendo network that no longer exists for the Wii? Very confusing what you are saying."
There are two ways, open a specific adress from the Wii internet browser, it will just patch the game off the disc on the fly and launch it ready to be online (Though for MKWii you'll need to connect once, then wait for one week before beeing able to play online, since it needs hand configuration on the server side). Video Tuto here
If you don't have the internet browser, set a specific DNS server adress in the Wii's settings, and open the licence/agreement and from there it will work as the previous technique. Video Tuto here

"Anything that is user created unsigned code is homebrew. So, wiimmfi is homebrew whether or not people want to classify it as such."

Yes, but you don't have to permanently modify your Wii with a hack and risk bricking it fiddling around with the Nand or FW.

"That's great and all but,.... How? If I go to the source forge pages on Swiss there is no readme or anything that explains how I should get it going on my Wii/Gamecube."

SWISS is on Github. Anyways, you need a gamexploit (a savefile of a game cracked such as you can run arbitrary code on a said console).
This gamexploit loads code from a little dedicated memory file on the GC's Memcard (along with the cracked save)
The dedicated memory file may be a homebrew (SWISS, GCI, emGBA…) or a DoLauncher which can launch itself a Dol from an SD card in a SD/MemCard adapter, and the preferred is SWISS.dol renamed as autoexec.dol and put at the root of the SD card

"Letterbomb Hack = Allows users to run unsigned code on their Wii. Aka the Homebrew channel.
I already letterbombed my Wii and I did tick the hackmii as shown by Modern Vintage Gamer's Youtube Video."

No, Letterbomb hack allows users to run arbitrary code on the Wii from a hacked message, the Homebrew channel is a step further, and modifies the console software and its behavior.
You used the letterbomb to run HackMii which itself modified your Wii Software then installed the Homebrew channel.

"How do I get Swiss to run without having to re-Letterbomb my Wii? I like what I currently have setup, I just want to add Swiss to what is currently setup."

Running SWISS off the Homebrew channel seems to be way too much of a hassle to set up compared to setting up a GamExploit for the GC.

"You completely lost me. I am not a computer or software engineer.
Game exploit? What game?
DoLauncher in the MCBACKUP? @_@"

So you took the risk of bricking your Wii while not knowing what you were doing? :?:
On the SD you used with the letterbomb and the kackmii, pull off the boot.dol (that is Hackmii), and put GCMM.dol renamed as boot.dol in the exact same place. In the folder named MCBACKUP, put the gamexploit of the game you want to use for this, and the DoLauncher you fancy.

"So, I tried using that Chinese knock off SD to Gamecube memory card.... I don't recommend it.
It damaged my ports T_T and also did quite a bit of damage to the SD pins.
DO NOT USE OR PURCHASE THIS..."

Just get a refund, mine is the exact same up to the packaging, and It never destroyed any of the four consoles I used it in (three GCs and one Wii)

"Sad day... Now I have to figure out how to fix the damaged ports. Sigh..."

Hope this is not too bad and can be fixed. However, I'm curious to see real pics of your adapter.
Exile wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:13 am
I am going to try just burning one of the Swiss ISO's to a disc to see if I can boot it that way. Sigh. I will need to go buy some DVDs tomorrow. Hopefully it works.
Why would you want to go through such complications? If your Wii is homebrew enabled, won't you be better run Nintendon't instead of trying to go the SWISS way?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu May 07, 2020 10:21 am

Little update: I got a pair of SDGeckos recently, and part of the board that is in the GC's connector inside is little wider than the recessed plastic part that makes a "nose" for it. They were hard to plug in and, may have damaged the GC if I wasn't aware enough, so I opened them and file the sides to fit the nose width, and they are now OK.