How to get proper EDTV output off Wii games in 2020?

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
Papy.G

How to get proper EDTV output off Wii games in 2020?

Post by Papy.G » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:57 am

Now that the bad Wii's progressive output cause has been identified, what are our options to get proper 480p video output in Wii games?

Do the online patchers run from the internet channel such as WiiMmfi's include video patch?

Is there a Wii Firmware update (official or not) that adresses this?

What alternative system does such improvement (HBC or whatever…)?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
retro

Re: How to get proper EDTV output off Wii games in 2020?

Post by retro » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:57 am

Would love to see more development on this.

Currently forced to run my Wii in 480i, as 480p causes a lot of diagonal ghost lines to appear on screen.

I am still waiting for my HD Retrovision component cables to arrive, hopefully it's better compared to the no-brand made in China Wii2HDMI adapter I have right now.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:13 am

It may be a little better, as the signal won't have to support any useless conversion, but not the best, as the Wii's 480p (for Wii Games) still needs a software patch. GC mode should be OK in 480p, while not as good as the full digital signal transmission from the source to the output the GC is capable of.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
retro

Post by retro » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:38 am

I always thought the Wii homebrew community was very active... is this 480i issue a hardware constraint then?

I have been through two Wii consoles (a Korean unit, and my current Australian unit), and 480p always produced noisy output, while 480i is clean.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:59 am

If my understanding is good, it's the official Wii SDK that mess up with pixel data in 480p, so that every one inhérits a part of the previous's data.

If you have noticeably much noisy output in 480p than in 480i, your cable may be bad. Also, the Wii has the reputation to have weak outputs, some more, some less, but none is supposed to stack up to what the GC official component cable can do.

Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:41 pm

It's very similar to the Nintendo GameCube Component Video Cable, if not slightly better.
retro

Post by retro » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:46 am

Papy.G wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:59 am
If my understanding is good, it's the official Wii SDK that mess up with pixel data in 480p, so that every one inhérits a part of the previous's data.

If you have noticeably much noisy output in 480p than in 480i, your cable may be bad. Also, the Wii has the reputation to have weak outputs, some more, some less, but none is supposed to stack up to what the GC official component cable can do.
Yeah, I figured as much since I am using a cheap Wii2HDMI adapter.

I am still waiting for my HD Retrovision component cables to arrive, should be here in 1-2 weeks' time.

Will hook it up with a RetroTink 2X Pro Multiformat, and see what happens.
retro

Post by retro » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:07 am

I have been spending a lot of time with my Wii since the HD Retrovision component cables arrived last Friday.

I have never seen the video output from the Wii to crisp, sharp, and colorful! Looks absolutely gorgeous with none of the softness and ghost lines seen in the Wii2HDMI adapter.

The RetroTink 2X Pro Multiformat makes it even better, smoothing out a lot (but not all) of the jaggies.

Is it expensive? Hell, yes. But it is worth every cent.