Wii Output

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
Outrunner

Wii Output

Post by Outrunner » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:22 am

Good day.

Have a Wii rvl 001 cpu 60. Black. Two wii to hdmi. The common one online dirt cheap and the mayflash device.

For a surprise the cheao one actually works well. Mayflash a bit better. Both have one problem. Here are the images. They are on a samsung uhdtv.

What is that pattern of dots? Bad wii output, bad mayflash or the tv upscaler?
Attachments
IMG_20210414_145151.jpg
(1.05 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_20210414_145230.jpg
(822.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Papy.G

Re: Wii Output

Post by Papy.G » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:23 pm

There are three things wrong in using a Wii this way: useless A/D conversion, upscaling in the "cable", re-upscaling in the TV.

Try to use a good component cable, as this may come from the analog to digital conversion, also, the TV will process the appropriate upscaling to 4K in one step, which may give better results.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
retro

Re: Wii Output

Post by retro » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:41 am

I went through three different Wii2HDMI adapters from different sellers on AliExpress, all roughly had the same results. You can try to drop the resolution to 480i and see if the image gets cleaner.

However, the only real solution I found is to get good component cables, as mentioned by Papy.G above.

I am currently using HD Retrovision component cables connected to a RetroTink 2X Pro Multiformat, and the 480p image is absolutely gorgeous on my 4K LG OLED.

Yes this solution is a tad expensive, but I can't imagine a better solution for the Wii.