[Not64] Bug with meta.xml's "LoadButtonSlot = #"

All Wii64 related discussions here
Nintendo Maniac 64

[Not64] Bug with meta.xml's "LoadButtonSlot = #"

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:39 am

I originally ran into this back in like the 2015(?) version, but it wasn't until I discovered that it still exists in the latest 2020-06-09 version that I'm pretty darned sure it's a bug. However, I've not been able to 100% reliably pin-down and replicate it, but I'm pretty darned sure it didn't use to occur back on the older 2012 versions.

If I recall correctly, meta.xml's "LoadButtonSlot = 0" and "LoadButtonSlot = 1" both point to Not64's button config slot 1, and then I think it's something like meta.xml's "LoadButtonSlot = 2" points to Not64's button config slot 3 and meta.xml's "LoadButtonSlot = 3" points to Not64's button config slot 4.

So if I'm remembering right, you can't actually auto-load Not64's button config slot 2.

From there, the main bug that can occur is that meta.xml's "LoadButtonSlot = 2" and "LoadButtonSlot = 3" options will just flat-out not work, but it seems to be something that actually triggers this bug as I believe they work initially, but then are permanently borked after the bug occurs.

AFAICT things work fine though if you only use Not64's button config slot 1, even after the main bug occurs.
saulfabreg

Re: [Not64] Bug with meta.xml's "LoadButtonSlot = #"

Post by saulfabreg » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:04 pm

hi, I saw that Extrems updated yesterday the Not64 emulator, its latest version is v20210816, go check it: https://github.com/extremscorner/not64/releases

Greetings ;)
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:52 pm

The latest version from 2021-08-17 does seem to fix nearly all of the issues I know of in Not64, including being able to actually load the second button slot. It however remains to be seen if the bigger bug of it basically completely breaking the auto-loading of button slots altogether has been fixed or not.

I did notice however that GC controllers still have overly-sensitive analog sticks compared to classic controllers which I wonder if that's purely so that real N64 controllers have the correct sensitivity.

Also I was having "Einstein's theory of insanity" levels of inconsistency with getting game-autoboot to work in a consistent with the 2021-08-17 until I deleted my existing settings.cfg that came from 2020-06-09 at which point it "just worked" consistently.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:02 am

FYI, you misdiagnosed the problem entirely. You were stuck with the default mapping because the arguments were read after the button mappings were read.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:09 am

Extrems wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:02 am
FYI, you misdiagnosed the problem entirely.
I believe it; I even admitted that I wasn't able to figure out how to 100% replicate the issue nor reliably pin down the source of the problem.

BTW while you're here, on the subject of controller bugs, the classic controller still freaks out the homebrew channel if you load and play a rom manually and then quit to the homebrew channel. This however doesn't happen if the rom is loaded via autoboot, but will still happen if you load a rom via autoboot and then, without quitting to the HBC, manually load and play a different rom and then quit to the homebrew channel.

...also could you quickly confirm/refute my theory that the GameCube controller analog stick being overly sensitive in Not64 is because it's calibrated for use with actual physical N64 controllers instead?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:38 pm

Other applications freak out because the Classic Controller is put into 8-bit analog mode, and they don't understand it.

I can address this if you don't mind your controller being unresponsive for several seconds every time you enter and leave the menu.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:41 am

Extrems wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:38 pm
I can address this if you don't mind your controller being unresponsive for several seconds every time you enter and leave the menu.
It's not really a big deal for me as it stands, but I'm kind of wondering what prevents Not64 from just deactivating 8bit mode when one quits Not64 since Not64 already takes a second or two after one selects "quit"?

(I'd still really appreciate clarification on whether the gamecube's analog stick being so overly sensitive in Not64 but not in Wii64 is a defect or a feature, because as it stands it makes games like BattleTanx: Global Assault quite a bit more difficult to play compared to when using a classic controller pro, and I've only got two classic controller pro gamepads meaning I need to use a gamecube controller for 3+ players... or, well, I guess I could use the nunchuck, I never really considered if that'd work well for that game or not

EDIT: Nunchuck is a no-go because Not64 won't let my 1st player wiimote + nunchuck remain as player 1 if the 2nd player wiimote has a classic controller connected - in other words classic controllers get player number priority which is no good for me because it's the less experienced players that'd get the classic controllers while I being the most experienced would be player 1 for game-setup reasons as well as be handicapped with the nunchuck)