Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
darcagn

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by darcagn » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:03 am

Just in case anyone wants an ISO to use with XenoGC, etc.

http://dcemulation.org/~darc/files/gbi-20150508.iso

It boots to the regular version by default, but the low-latency and ultra-low-latency version DOLs are on the disc too if you want to use Swiss to boot them up instead.
RetroRGB

Post by RetroRGB » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:58 pm

Darcagn, thanks so much for creating that! Is there any way you can make another one that boots directly to the ULL version? A version with a full GUI boot menu would be the best option, but just having a bootable iso of the ULL version will be more then enough for most people who already have mod chips.

And once again, thank you Extrems for taking the time to make the GBI. The ULL version is literally the first time I've ever played GB/GBA games on a monitor and had it look right.
darcagn

Post by darcagn » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:33 am

RetroRGB wrote:Darcagn, thanks so much for creating that! Is there any way you can make another one that boots directly to the ULL version? A version with a full GUI boot menu would be the best option, but just having a bootable iso of the ULL version will be more then enough for most people who already have mod chips.

And once again, thank you Extrems for taking the time to make the GBI. The ULL version is literally the first time I've ever played GB/GBA games on a monitor and had it look right.

Yessir, here are the links:

http://dcemulation.org/~darc/files/gbi-20150508.iso
http://dcemulation.org/~darc/files/gbi-20150508-ll.iso
http://dcemulation.org/~darc/files/gbi-20150508-ull.iso

All three ISOs have all three binaries on them for selection through Swiss, but the version designated in the filename is the version you get by booting directly.

I didn't test the LL or ULL version ISOs, since I didn't want to waste the few DVD-Rs I have, so let me know if they don't work.
RetroRGB

Post by RetroRGB » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:08 pm

They all work perfect, thank you!
helswake

Post by helswake » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Just want to say, this is fantastic work! The further I delve into video quality geekness the more I discover that Nintendo has messed things up along the way: messing up aspect ratios on both SGB and GBP? 480i instead of 240p? Color is messed up? What the heck! This fixes all of that and I'm really happy that someone out there has helped create a way for everyone to enjoy and capture gameboy games up to GBA as perfectly as possible.

Quick question though: does anyone know how to toggle on/off the color gamut mapping on the full GBI.dol?
Aressi

Post by Aressi » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:16 pm

is posible to add game ripping support?
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:41 am

Nope, as Extrems already mentioned, the GBP is only a capture device, no data from inside the GBA is accessible, and that includes the games.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:00 am

• Added screenshot saving to SD.
  • Added SNTP broadcast listener.
  • Changed default video mode to interlaced.
  • Fixed Game Boy Player detection issue.
For low latency version:
For ultra-low latency version:
  • Added 486p59.7276 video mode.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:20 am

Just downloaded the newest version; possibly stupid question, how do you change the aspect ratio?
donhonk

Post by donhonk » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:43 am

Is it possible in the future to change button mappings?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:36 am

Extrems wrote:
  • Added screenshot saving to SD.
  • Added SNTP broadcast listener.
  • Changed default video mode to interlaced.
For low latency version:
For ultra-low latency version:
  • Added 486p59.7276 video mode.
Hmm, what does "Fixed Game Boy Player detection issue" refer to? I had thought it would make games think they're connected to a GBP, so you'd have a rumble option in Mario & Luigi and the cart for Drill Dozer wouldn't rumble in the Gamecube, but that doesn't seem to be it.

Was this just a bug maybe that sometimes failed to see the GBP?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:52 am

bobrocks95 wrote:Was this just a bug maybe that sometimes failed to see the GBP?
It is. The low latency versions reset immediately when it isn't detected.

I can't support GBP enhancements, or lockout in the case of GBA Video, until I have such a game.
I've recently invested in this one though.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:16 am

Extrems wrote:It is. The low latency versions reset immediately when it isn't detected.

I can't support GBP enhancements, or lockout in the case of GBA Video, until I have such a game.
I've recently invested in this one though.
I would be more than happy to donate on of my many horrible GBA Video titles if that would help bring the more useful features to any of the other games; I'm guessing the same check is done in all the games to see if it's being run in a Gameboy Player. You can choose between Fairly Odd Parents or Shark Tale. I might even have Shrek lying around somewhere.

Didn't know Sonic Advance had any GBP features- were you just doing a console verification with the Game Boy Interface or is that your TAS? Awesome either way really.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:30 am

bobrocks95 wrote:I would be more than happy to donate on of my many horrible GBA Video titles if that would help bring the more useful features to any of the other games; I'm guessing the same check is done in all the games to see if it's being run in a Gameboy Player. You can choose between Fairly Odd Parents or Shark Tale. I might even have Shrek lying around somewhere.
While it would help enabling games to detect the Game Boy Player, it wouldn't help enabling rumble. It's all software controlled.
bobrocks95 wrote:Didn't know Sonic Advance had any GBP features- were you just doing a console verification with the Game Boy Interface or is that your TAS? Awesome either way really.
It doesn't. This is endrift's console verification of Mukki's run, details and history at: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=375
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:52 am

Software controlled on the Gameboy Player's boot disc's end? That would lead me to think it's a generic routine, but then again the only games I can think of that had rumble or other features were first party and could have been programmed in individually...
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:05 am

I would assume rumble is represented by a bit in the GBP's registers. I would then send a command to the controller to start/stop rumbling.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:09 am

been using the GBI for the last couple of days, not sure if you want error reports and opinions, but here are some.

Played some Metroid Fusion on the ULL version; the side-scrolling has a lot of visual errors on the background, but thats what you've already advertised. I don't know if bringing specific title to your attention helps.

Start to reset is the bane of my existance, I hit it accedantally all the time. The reset is too fast for my wiikey to reinitulise, so I have to manually retset my cube everytime I hit it. I would be much happier if this function was removed all togeather.

I also have a non-gamer playing Pokemon Fire Red for the first time that keeps accidentally hitting X and bringing up the menu, I feel that C-up could be a much better way to bring up the menu. as it's out of the way

I also still can't figure out how to enable 16:9 mode like you have in this screencap
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:28 am

Diminuendo wrote:Played some Metroid Fusion on the ULL version; the side-scrolling has a lot of visual errors on the background, but thats what you've already advertised. I don't know if bringing specific title to your attention helps.
It should be tearing-free for hours, but I previously had one report of it tearing within a minute.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:04 am

Start to reset is the bane of my existance, I hit it accedantally all the time. The reset is too fast for my wiikey to reinitulise, so I have to manually retset my cube everytime I hit it. I would be much happier if this function was removed all togeather.
I second this, happened too often :(
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:57 pm

It sounds counter-intuitive. I'd probably instinctively use start as the gameboy's start button.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Extrems wrote:
Diminuendo wrote:Played some Metroid Fusion on the ULL version; the side-scrolling has a lot of visual errors on the background, but thats what you've already advertised. I don't know if bringing specific title to your attention helps.
It should be tearing-free for hours, but I previously had one report of it tearing within a minute.
happened right from the start after I jumped out of Samus' ship
RetroRGB

Post by RetroRGB » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:20 pm

Diminuendo wrote:happened right from the start after I jumped out of Samus' ship
That's really strange...that's the exact place I use to test tearing in all my GBA comparisons and it definitely didn't happen when using GBi / ULL. What display are you using?
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:23 pm

RetroRGB wrote:
Diminuendo wrote:happened right from the start after I jumped out of Samus' ship
That's really strange...that's the exact place I use to test tearing in all my GBA comparisons and it definitely didn't happen when using GBi / ULL. What display are you using?
my Sony Bravia

the battery on the cartrage is flat if that's important
RetroRGB

Post by RetroRGB » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:23 pm

Diminuendo wrote:
RetroRGB wrote:
my Sony Bravia

the battery on the cartrage is flat if that's important
You're going directly from the Game Cube into your Bravia? If so, it's possible your TV just isn't handling the refresh rate correctly.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:40 pm

I dunno, I don't have framemiester kinds of money

just letting Extrems know either way

BTW RetroRGB, on your Gameboy Player page you talk about "16:9 widescreen support (perfect for GBA games)" can you please tell me how to enable widescreen?