Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
andre104623

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by andre104623 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:12 pm

This is great! It's almost a softmod somewhat like Ps2 freeboot if we could upload the save into memory card with the same console your trying to exploit. I need to try this when I get time is swiss.dol possible to load by this method?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:36 am

Yeah, everything "should" work, Swiss worked.
psprofi

Post by psprofi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:35 am

Just to give some feedback for the Super Smash Bros. Melee Exploit.
I have a PAL Version and can not get it to work.
The GC just resets. I have the exploit and swiss (input name boot.dol) on the memory card as savegame. I also have the XenoGC in my Cube if that matters.

I have one Question about the GBP.
Is it technically possible to dump game and savegame via Gameboy Player? I would really hope to see that in the future, if possible.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:48 am

A reset either mean the payload is corrupted or it couldn't load boot.dol. What kind of memory card do you have?
psprofi wrote:Is it technically possible to dump game and savegame via Gameboy Player? I would really hope to see that in the future, if possible.
This is planned.
psprofi

Post by psprofi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:22 am

The card that is not working is a Noname 4MB Card.

I found an other Card and with it its working. That is a 16MB third party card from BigBen

Sadly the 16MB Card is full of Savegames :D
I try around with the 4MB one :D
suloku

Post by suloku » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:33 am

psprofi wrote:The card that is not working is a Noname 4MB Card.

I found an other Card and with it its working. That is a 16MB third party card from BigBen

Sadly the 16MB Card is full of Savegames :D
I try around with the 4MB one :D
Try formatting it, maybe the boot.dol blocks are scattered and it isn't workibg due to the file not being continuous in the mc?
psprofi

Post by psprofi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks for the tip.
I formated the mc with gcmm on gc and used the buildin mcmanager to copy the savegames.
And it works.
Now i need a small simple dol loader with SDGecko Support on SlotB. Lets google :D
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Just use Swiss for that.
psprofi

Post by psprofi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Just use Swiss for that.

Nice idea but it does not fit.
48 Blocks free, Swiss need 113.
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:14 pm

Ah yeah, indeed. A stripped down dol loader should do the trick and fit in a few blocks.
Lander

Post by Lander » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Ah yeah, indeed. A stripped down dol loader should do the trick and fit in a few blocks.
Like SDLoad????
NES :: SNES :: N64 :: PSOne :: GC :: PS2 Slim :: GBA SP iQue (AGP-101) :: Wii :: DSi :: 3DS XL (Smash Edition)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:18 pm

Or put Swiss as autoexec.dol on the SD card and quit GBI to load it.
psprofi

Post by psprofi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:31 am

Lander wrote:Like SDLoad????
SD Load never started for me. Always a green screen. (The only Homebrew, i tried, that do that)

Extrems wrote:Or put Swiss as autoexec.dol on the SD card and quit GBI to load it.
I did not realized that it is possible. Thanks

But a small Homebrew that start a dol from SD on Slot A or B would be great.
I would do it myself, but i don't have knowledge for that.
suloku

Post by suloku » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:48 am

psprofi wrote:
Lander wrote:Like SDLoad????
But a small Homebrew that start a dol from SD on Slot A or B would be great.
I would do it myself, but i don't have knowledge for that.
What about a very small homebrew that starts sdload.bin? Or is that what gives a green screen? There's a dol version of sdloader A&B (don't know how many blocks though).
psprofi

Post by psprofi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:14 pm

suloku wrote: There's a dol version of sdloader A&B (don't know how many blocks though).
Thats the Homebrew i tried and just shows a green screen.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:41 pm

Please post any chat related to Home Bros. in the proper thread from now on:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3023
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:01 pm

Can ULL run in fake widescreen? How do I switch games in ULL?

I loaded via Home Bros and I noticed my video mode was dictated by what Melee was at, how do I load 240p?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:35 pm

No, it cannot. Hold the reset button while ejecting/inserting the cartridge, or just rip it out then reset.
Any particular reason for wanting 240p over 480p?
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:11 pm

Hear it's nicer when upscaled.
sindrik

Post by sindrik » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:54 am

Thanks for this, Extrems and dansalvato! It really rocks, as i can now help some friends to use this GBI beauty on their cubes.
Smashbro29 wrote:Hear it's nicer when upscaled.
I'm not sure, but i guess you could use the config injector published before by another user, and use the parameters you want before converting to GCI.

2 questions:

- Anyone knows the pad combination for exiting GBI to loader?
- Where to get the latest Swiss DOL?
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:34 am

Miomjon

Post by Miomjon » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:00 pm

I've done quite a lot of testing with GBI, and I'd like to share the information I gathered for anyone who has trouble with it, especially with the ULL version.

First off, I've found GBI LL to be working with all outputs and all displays that I've tried (that includes the Framemeister, a late 90's Sony CRT TV and a Samsung HDTV with both an NTSC and a PAL GC over composite, S-video, RGB and component). I haven't tried the regular GBI much because it adds too much latency to my liking, but of course this version should work on pretty much all displays due to its normal refresh rate. I would then personally recommend GBI LL over GBI, though the latter does have a couple of nice features that might appeal to you.

Now to the main meat: GBI ULL. On the Samsung HDTV, it kind of worked but only on component, on other outputs the signal 'jumped' from times to times. But anyway the TV adds enough latency of its own that it defeats the purpose of ULL. On the CRT TV, which I only tested S-video on, it displayed fine, except in black and white (not a wiring issue as GBI LL worked fine). Sadly I can't test other inputs because I don't have access to the TV very often, though I imagine it will behave like the Framemeister. With this upscaler (connected to a PC monitor), it also displayed in black and white over S-video, as well as with composite (meaning it's really a timing issue with the colour information and not a problem with the chromance signal of S-video, as Extrems mentionned before). With component, the Framemeister didn't display anything, but the Samsung TV proved that it does work (and even displays it in 240p). The last output option, thankfully did work: with RGB (and as such, a PAL GC) it did end up displaying colour, making it the only combination of outputs+display I own that fully works with GBI ULL and makes sense (since the Framemeister+PC monitor offers lower latency than most HDTVs).
As a final note, I've noticed that GBI ULL, with all output methods and displays, showed some weird tearing line that span about 10 pixels in height, but they only appear after about 2 minutes of uptime, and disappear 1 minute later. Not sure what that's about.

tl;dr: My personal tests showed that the Framemeister only works with GBI ULL when using RGB, which requires a PAL GC.

Hopefully this post will help a few people :) And don't hesitate to share your own experiences, especially if they differ from mine.
Last edited by Miomjon on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:42 pm

Miomjon wrote:As a final note, I've noticed that GBI ULL, with all output methods and displays, showed some weird tearing line that span about 10 pixels in height, but they only appear after about 2 minutes of uptime, and disappear 1 minute later. Not sure what that's about.
The line pattern is an artifact of how the rendering works.

GBI ULL tears when the GC and GBA are sufficiently out of phase, the cycle depends on your hardware.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Miomjon wrote:I've done quite a lot of testing with GBI, and I'd like to share the information I gathered for anyone who has trouble with it, especially with the ULL version.

First off, I've found GBI LL to be working with all outputs and all displays that I've tried (that includes the Framemeister, a late 90's Sony CRT TV and a Samsung HDTV with both an NTSC and a PAL GC over composite, S-video, RGB and component). I haven't tried the regular GBI much because it adds too much latency to my liking, but of course this version should work on pretty much all displays due to its normal refresh rate. I would then personally recommend GBI LL over GBI, though the latter does have a couple of nice features that might appeal to you.

Now to the main meat: GBI ULL. On the Samsung HDTV, it kind of worked but only on component, on other outputs the signal 'jumped' from times to times. But anyway the TV adds enough latency of its own that it defeats the purpose of ULL. On the CRT TV, which I only tested S-video on, it displayed fine, except in black and white (not a wiring issue as GBI LL worked fine). Sadly I can't test other inputs because I don't have access to the TV very often, though I imagine it will behave like the Framemeister. With this upscaler (connected to a PC monitor), it also displayed in black and white over S-video, as well as with composite (meaning it's really a timing issue with the colour information and not a problem with the chromance signal of S-video, as Extrems mentionned before). With component, the Framemeister didn't display anything, but the Samsung TV proved that it does work (and even displays it in 240p). The last output option, thankfully did work: with RGB (and as such, a PAL GC) it did end up displaying colour, making it the only combination of outputs+display I own that made sense (since the Framemeister+PC monitor offers lower latency than most HDTVs).
As a final note, I've noticed that GBI ULL, with all output methods and displays, showed some weird tearing line that span about 10 pixels in height, but they only appear after about 2 minutes of uptime, and disappear 1 minute later. Not sure what that's about.

Hopefully this post will help a few people :) And don't hesitate to share your own experiences, especially if they differ with mine.
I've heard reports from people that they got the ULL version working with a Framemeister- you might want to fiddle with your settings.

As for tearing it seems to vary a lot from person to person. I believe you said at one point Extrems that it really shouldn't de-sync for hours? All I can offer is that it doesn't seem to tear on a CRT, not that that's helpful information.
FIX94

Post by FIX94 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:07 pm

bobrocks95 wrote: As for tearing it seems to vary a lot from person to person. I believe you said at one point Extrems that it really shouldn't de-sync for hours? All I can offer is that it doesn't seem to tear on a CRT, not that that's helpful information.
I do wonder if it maybe could be some PAL/NTSC thing, I have a PAL GC and for me its also about 2 minutes for the desync to happen.