Home Bros.

Discussion / Support for Softmods (SDML, AR, Game Hacks)
47iscool

Re: Home Bros.

Post by 47iscool » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:36 pm

I bet the twilight hack could be made for the gc version. But nobody's really interested in gc exploits though.
suloku

Post by suloku » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:04 pm

47iscool wrote:I bet the twilight hack could be made for the gc version. But nobody's really interested in gc exploits though.
Unlike the wii version, the GC version was pretty limited (at least in europe), so not as many people have it, like Melee, which most gc owners should have.
But it would still be interesting.
MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:02 am

Hello suloku ! it's been a while.
So i could finally try your brosautoexecconf yesterday evening. But i got some issue, i may did something wrong.
Here is my setup :
My autoboot folder :

My autoconf.txt file (only beginning) :

And the result :

Just after the hack save worked, i have the black screen (waiting screen) but when i press a button, it displays the error screen.
I have an autoexec.dol file at root of SD card, but it didn't load either.
Something i didn't understand ?
Thank you !
suloku

Post by suloku » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:30 pm

MockyLock wrote:Hello suloku ! it's been a while.
So i could finally try your brosautoexecconf yesterday evening. But i got some issue, i may did something wrong.
Here is my setup :
My autoboot folder :
I've released the launchers since I think they are ready, we should continue this here since this has gotten away from the home bros. exploit: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3036

The code has changed since the version I sent you trough pm, you should try the one there. I haven't encountered any problems so far.
avrano1

Post by avrano1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:34 pm

Is it possible to do this without a Wii? Only a SD Gecko + Gamecube + super smash bros melee?
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:55 pm

You need a way to put the glitched save on the memory card. To do this you need a way to run homebrew either on a Wii or a GC.
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:02 pm

@suloku

Well looks like I will need to acquire a copy of mêlée then.
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:04 pm

I got my SD memory card finally. I need help.

I figure now I can just load home bros via this thing and bypass the real memory cards entirely.

But apparently it doesn't work as a memory card for games? I formatted it to FAT32 and the card claims to have only 2gb so maybe I'm doing something wrong there.

I'm not really savvy enough to understand "just use the command line" so I'm running into issues getting the latest version of Swiss to be a save file. I have GALE-0-01

If I can't just have it all go through the SD thing I could load swiss via homebros and use it for anything else, right?
suloku

Post by suloku » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:29 pm

The sd adaptor can't work as a memory card. I don't know if swiss supports memory card emulation though.

2GB is the limit for non-sdhc cards

Look for dolaunchers, install the simple brosexec to memory card, put swiss or whatever you want as autoexec.dol
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:18 pm

suloku wrote:The sd adaptor can't work as a memory card. I don't know if swiss supports memory card emulation though.

2GB is the limit for non-sdhc cards

Look for dolaunchers, install the simple brosexec to memory card, put swiss or whatever you want as autoexec.dol
Thanks.

I'm in the clear then.

I still don't know how to get a .dol to load via home bros. I'm struggling with the conversion process but if I finally get it do you have one you'd recommend?
suloku

Post by suloku » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:07 pm

You'll need a homebre-enabled gamecube or any retrocompatible wii (which can run homebrew without any additional hardware) to put the savegames on a gamecube memory card
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:45 am

suloku wrote:You'll need a homebre-enabled gamecube or any retrocompatible wii (which can run homebrew without any additional hardware) to put the savegames on a gamecube memory card
Right, not the part I'm struggling with. I'm struggling to make the conversion using Home Bros. I want to get a DOL launcher but I don't know how to change it into the modified smash save file.
PokemonAcer

Post by PokemonAcer » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:33 pm

It says to restore both saves, but there's 3 for GALE and GALJ, but only 1 for PAL..
Do you not put 00-00 on, just 00-01 and 00-02?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:45 pm

There's only one PAL release that's why. Just leave it as-is and restore.
FishamanP

Post by FishamanP » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:47 am

PokemonAcer wrote:It says to restore both saves, but there's 3 for GALE and GALJ, but only 1 for PAL..
Do you not put 00-00 on, just 00-01 and 00-02?
The 3 different numbered versions correspond to the 3 versions of Melee. You can find yours by looking at the inner ring on the unlabeled side of the disc. It should glint in the light, like DOL-GALE-00-00 or something like that.

The vast majority of discs are 1.02, so the 00-02 file will work for most people.
Saxorus

Post by Saxorus » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:26 pm

Hmm... This isn't working for me. My Gamecube just reboots whenever I click Name Entry. I'm using a U.S. NTSC version of Melee, and a Joytech 16Mb (251 block) memory card, if that matters.

Here's what I did:
I installed GCMM on my homebrew-enabled Wii. I put DOL-GALE-0-02.gci (yes, it matches my Melee disc, I checked.) into the MCBACKUP folder of my USB flash drive, downloaded swiss_r334.7z from here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1375 used dol2gci to convert the compressed dol into a gci, and placed that into MCBACKUP. I ran GCMM on my Wii, and transferred both gci files to my Gamecube memory card. Then, I booted up Super Smash Bros. Melee on my Gamecube went to VS. Mode, chose Name Entry, and my Gamecube rebooted itself.

Am I doing anything wrong?
suloku

Post by suloku » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:44 pm

@Saxorus did you rename swiss's dol file to boot.dol BEFORE using dol2gci?
Saxorus

Post by Saxorus » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:45 am

D'oh! I forgot to do that. It's working fine now, thanks! Apparently, dol2gci cares about the name of the input file, and simply renaming the output file to boot.gci does not work.

On a side note, I do think it would be worth it to implement Twilight Hack on Gamecube. I have the Gamecube version of it, plus 3 of my friends have it for Gamecube, so I doubt it's that rare. I might try implementing it myself if I can find notes on the Wii version of the hack.
suloku

Post by suloku » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:05 am

Saxorus wrote:D'oh! I forgot to do that. It's working fine now, thanks! Apparently, dol2gci cares about the name of the input file, and simply renaming the output file to boot.gci does not work.
For the record, dol2gci gets the filename from the dol file and puts it on the gci header. The filename in the gci header is what is used (once the save is restored) by the memory card filesystem to identify the file. That's why the gci filename doesn't really matter, but the dol filename before converting does.
Mooch

Post by Mooch » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:32 am

Hey, trying to get Swiss to load, having some problems. I know this is the HomeBros. topic but it's the most active, so there ya go.

1) The Swiss archive here...

https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc

...does not contain a .dol file. So I have nothing to dol2gci.

2) The Wiki page on Swiss...

http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Swiss

...does not explain how to structure files on your SD card. I'm using an off-brand SD Gecko-like device. I don't know what to name the various homebrew .dol files (SNES 9x, Cube, Hugo, etc.) -- do I name them each boot.dol and put them in their own folders? Or not? And what do I name any folders I create? And where do I put the ROMs since every emulator just wants a "roms" folder. etc. etc. etc.

You can see my confusion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm really eager to get homebrew running on my Gamecube.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:13 am

Grab the nightly build of Swiss here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1375

Structure for Swiss can be whatever you like.
GCNlover

Post by GCNlover » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:42 pm

Goal: Play my Game Boy Advance carts at 240p, using the Game Boy Player for a JP Gamecube, connected to a PVM via S-video.

Method: Home Bros with JP Melee Disc, used to launch Game Boy Interface (possibly by way of Swiss).

I have the Gamecube Memory Card Manager app running on a Homebrewed Wii right now, so the final step is dragging and dropping the correct save file and apps onto the Gamecube 251 Memory Card.

This is the step where it falls apart for me - I loaded the proper save file (J-0-00) onto the memory card using the Wii, but when I put that memory card into the Gamecube and try to go to Name Entry in Vs. Mode to activate Home Bros, nothing happens.

Even if something did happen there, I'd still need some help massaging the ideal setup of files on my memory card anyway, so I don't know if it matters that I'm screwing up this step.

Can somebody help me create a file to put on an SD card to use with GCMM to transfer to the 251 Memory Card? It needs to contain:

1) Home Bros save file for a JP Melee disc with 0-00 as the number on the shiny side, 2) Game Boy Interface (this is where I need the most help, as I'd like either LL or ULL but with the arguments set to make it run at full screen. Is there a standard zoom setting or will I need to fiddle with the settings and if so I clearly don't know what I'm doing, is it a simple value to adjust?), 3) Optional - Swiss. I'm not sure if Swiss is required, but this might be the only way to force Game Boy Interface to run at 240p.

I don't know how to package that into something to get onto the memory card, but if I understand everything correctly then that should be able to result in: go to name entry in Smash, Swiss boots automatically after into Game Boy Interface running at 240p (LL or ULL mode, "full screen")

Thanks for any guidance, I have a billion devices out right now wired up everywhere and am hoping to complete this once and for all. An old dusty Wii was dragged out for GCMM, Wii U gamepad is being used as its sensor bar, Gamecube and Wii keep hot swapping inputs for testing....any help really appreciated!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:55 pm

It's possible Japanese 1.0 is broken, I only had 1.2 to test with.
GCNlover

Post by GCNlover » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:28 pm

Well that's discouraging, can anyone confirm if they've gotten JP 1.0 to work?

In the meantime, any other suggestions on things to try? It's entirely possible I'm an idiot and have done something wrong with the memory card, but all I've done is drag the 0-00 save file to the SD card, GCMM transfer to Memory Card 251, when I check the card on the Gamecube it shows the save file, and then yea nothing when I go to name entry. There is only one total file to be added to the SD card, correct?
GCNlover

Post by GCNlover » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:46 pm

Actually, it's probably not that 1.00 doesn't work. Much more likely, it's just the fact that I didn't include any .dol along with the 0-00 save file. I can't get dol2gci to run, so I was testing out the save file in the meantime thinking that it would start the glitch when going to name entry. It wouldn't be able to do that with another DOL file though, right? So that's why it's not doing anything hopefully.

That being said, does anyone mind wrapping up a file for me to put on SD > GCMM > GCN Memory Card 251? At this point I'm pretty sure everything will work if someone sends me a properly boot.dol for Swiss and whatever files required for GBI.