Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
suloku

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by suloku » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:27 am

bobrocks95 wrote: And the most startling thing is someone saying:
The only minor issue is the buttons don't map 1-1 with the GC ones so the GC A button is the CC B button and the GC B button is the CC X button.
No, this is the mapping that makes sense to use it on gamecube games due to the button layout, the problem comes when wanting to use the adapter for the gameboy player (or nes/snes/gb emulators, but on those mapping can probably be changed).

Try playin a gamecube game with the classic controller, you will be pressin B thinking it's the A button.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:32 am

Well I just want a low cost alternative to a Hori Gamecube controller, so I guess due to mapping issues, the Classic Controller Pro with adapter may not be best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
suloku

Post by suloku » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:33 am

I was just thinking, I don't know the inner workings of gbi, but shouldn't it be able to remap the controller? I don't really think it would affect performance, but that would require a version just for this controller.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:35 am

If GBI had the ability to remap buttons (I can't test it now, as the cat chewed up my PSU cable), that would solve issues with pretty much all converters.

novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:57 am

suloku wrote: Try playin a gamecube game with the classic controller, you will be pressin B thinking it's the A button.
I play Dolphin with a ps3 controller, and I have X = A, O = B, square = Y, triangle = X. It just feels natural when using a PlayStation controller to have the main button on cross and secondary on O. This is also how I map the DS and SNES buttons but with X and Y swapped.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:03 pm

Streetwalker,

What adapter are you using?

I hate playstation controllers because of the D-pad. SNES and Wii CC have much better d-pads

novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:55 pm

Just a USB cable, it's a ps3 controller.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:00 pm

What does that have to do with Game Boy Interface and Gamecube? We are talking about a real system, not emulation.

novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:03 pm

We were talking about button mapping, it doesn't matter what I'm using it on (and I made it clear that I'm using that controller with Dolphin).
XC-3730C

Re: RE: Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by XC-3730C » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:10 pm

Streetwalker wrote:We were talking about button mapping, it doesn't matter what I'm using it on (and I made it clear that I'm using that controller with Dolphin).
Are you running Game Boy Interface in Dolphin?

Can anyone confirm if Game Boy Interface can remap buttons?
novenary

Re: RE: Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by novenary » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:50 pm

XC-3730C wrote: Are you running Game Boy Interface in Dolphin?
Of course not, why and how would I do that ? But I use Dolphin to play other GC games. Again, I was only replying to the button mapping issue.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:14 pm

I understand that, be we are talking about the button mapping issue specifically for Game Boy Interface and a real Gamecube and a controller adapter (SNES, NES, and Wii controllers specifically).

Speaking of which, I looked at:

http://www.hkems.com/product/nintendo/0902.htm

The section there for button mapping looks like (if I am reading it correctly), that the GC's B is mapped to CC's Y, and GC's A is mapped to CC's B, which makes sense for the Gameboy Player.
suloku

Post by suloku » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:45 am

XC-3730C wrote:that the GC's B is mapped to CC's Y, and GC's A is mapped to CC's B, which makes sense for the Gameboy Player.
Since they are only two buttons, it can be played with the adaptor with no issues, but the person asking wants the CC A button to be the GC A button and the B to be the B, since the physical position of those buttons in the CC is the same as in the GBA.

It's just personal preference, and shouldn't really make a difference for GBA, but some games are designed with the controller in mind when mapping, using a different layout would make some button combos really hard, i.e. if a GC used a X+A combo instead of a B+A combo.

But extrems has the final word on this.
By the way, will the project go open source at some point?
FishamanP

Post by FishamanP » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:02 pm

suloku wrote:By the way, will the project go open source at some point?
While I love open-source software, I'm a little wary of the source for this being widely available.
In the speedrunning community, there is potential for abuse if e.g. turbo was enabled in the LL version.
Or, say, a key macro that automatically performs a frame-perfect trick? Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga comes to mind with Barrel Glitch.
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:17 am

If we're on adapters this exists: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/sn ... /index.php

My issue is really that he won't reply to my email about button configurations. Because I'm not crazy about A=A and B=B.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:36 pm

Smashbro29 wrote:If we're on adapters this exists: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/sn ... /index.php

My issue is really that he won't reply to my email about button configurations. Because I'm not crazy about A=A and B=B.
recompile the source and flash the new code to the chip with your new custom button mapping??
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:27 am

megalomaniac wrote:
Smashbro29 wrote:If we're on adapters this exists: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/sn ... /index.php

recompile the source and flash the new code to the chip with your new custom button mapping??
Not all of us are wizards like you. :cry:
dadjumper

Post by dadjumper » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:09 am

Hi! I registered an account to post in this thread. I'm a pretty big fan of GBI, so I figured I'd post my feedback. I'm sure any issues I might have are known by the users here and Extrems already, but here's my setup and experience:

I'm running GBI via Swiss with the SD Media Launcher on my PAL gamecube, going to my LCD via a 'retro_gaming_cables' SCART cable to my Framemeister. I'm using the Raphnet SNES to Gamecube controller adapter, which is currently being discussed above. The control layout isn't perfect but it works well enough for my needs.

Currently, the biggest issue I have with GBI is with horizontal banding, or screen tearing (whichever descriptor works better here). I believe this was brought up earlier in this thread, but basically it involves constantly shifting pixels on specific lines, maybe in every third of the screen or so. This is exacerbated by certain parts of games that move a lot, like the ice shield card in Circle of the Moon, which causes the screen to 'wobble' in this way on whichever lines the ice inhabits. This issue is present in all versions of GBI (regular and both low latency versions). This also occurs sometimes when using the swiss menu or just booting up the media launcher interface, but is much less pronounced, and doesn't affect regular Gamecube games (of any region) or the Gameboy Player official disc.

Also, I've found with the LL and ULL versions that certain screens will cause either graphical glitches, or cause my framemeister to reset the resolution momentarily. Again, using Circle of the Moon as an example (I played a lot of this on GBI recently), the map screen via ULL is completely unusable as half of it gets cut off and moved offscreen. In LL and regular GBI, the map is intact but the lines look very squiggly, perhaps as a result of the above banding issue. With LL or ULL, saving the game in COTM will cause the aforementioned resolution reset with the framemeister, without fail. I've had this occasionally happen during regular gameplay of other (non GC) games with the framemeister, but never had it trigger so consistently. This may be an issue with my FM's firmware, though. None of these issues are present when using the standard Gameboy Player disc (which is still run through swiss, as my disc is Japanese.)

With all this said, however, GBI is still a much preferred option to the GBP disc. The lack of that gross border makes the games look so much nicer and easier to upscale; the accurate colours pop so much better in RGB; and the latency makes the games actually playable compared to the GBP disc. I played several hours of Castlevania via the GBP disc and thought it was the game's fault that the combat was so clunky but after switching to GBI (ULL) I found it much more fluid. You are doing a bang up job on making the best GB-on-TV experience and I've been very happy to follow the development of this software since it was first released. Thanks and sorry if you're sick of reading about these same issues that you already know about!

Edit: I just tried out the new version and I'm super stoked to see the ability to edit arguments with the regular GBI dol! Wow! I had a whole thing in here about not being able to do that but I removed it straight away, heh.
mobius

Post by mobius » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:35 am

I too made an account just for this topic. GBI is a very exciting project!

You mentioned speedrunners as a target audience in the OP, and there is certainly a lot that makes GBI attractive for this purpose. However, two of the most popular GBA speedruns, Metroid fusion and zero mission, use the GBA SP as a controller almost exclusively. I have no idea how difficult this is to implement, but it's something I am awaiting eagerly.
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Just letting you all know I am using the ULL version with this RCA to HDMI adapter and it works great on all TV's in full screen.

I bought it for 20 bucks ages ago, but its only 10 bucks now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Composite- ... 339f332cdc

[update - do not get this adapater, it is not good, input lag issues]
Last edited by paulness15 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--
NTSC Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss)
PAL Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss and SD Loader)
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:34 am

Absolutely baffled that thing supports 240p. Does it incorrectly treat it as 480i? How does it look (guessing terrible, but that's suggestive)?
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:20 pm

It looks kinda bad, compared to plugging directly into the TV and using the more compatible version, however the input lag is non existent in ULL
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:47 pm

Also just a note for those using LL version:

Gamecube using RF cables look better on my LCD TV than composite (I know it shouldn't). Perhaps it is correctly interpreting 240p via RF but not via composite?
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:25 pm

I have a PAL gamecube, Qoob Pro modchip, Japanese GBA player and Broadband adapter. I'm Launching the DOL using Swiss (r326) directly from the Qoob pro I'm using component video cables.

On the regular version (gbi.dol) I get a click in my speakers usually accompanied by a line of interference cutting across my screen every second or so. It is annoying enough to make the thing unusable. It doesn't happen on the regular GBA player disk, or on the LL ur ULL versions either. I've tried all manner of different screen modes and it happens on all of them. Any ideas what might be causing that?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:27 pm

It's network interference, put your systems on a separate subnet for the time being.