Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
paulness15

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by paulness15 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:07 pm

Extrems wrote:No, that makes no sense.
When researching screen tearing, I saw this:
"in which case the tear line moves as the phase difference changes (with speed proportional to difference of frame rates)"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

This means if my LCD monitor is expecting 60hz and I give it 59.7276 Hz, I should have more screen tearing than if I give it something like 59.7800 Hz?
--
NTSC Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss)
PAL Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss and SD Loader)
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:20 pm

paulness15 wrote:Do you have any recommendations on settings to use for an LCD user using 240p progressive and zooming?
My recommendation is the default settings.
XC-3730C wrote:Any chance of Gameboy mono palette switching being supported in GBI?
What do you mean?
paulness15 wrote:This means if my LCD monitor is expecting 60hz and I give it 59.7276 Hz, I should have more screen tearing than if I give it something like 59.7800 Hz?
The problem isn't between the TV and the GameCube, but the GameCube and the Game Boy Player.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:23 pm

The official Gameboy Player Startup disc has an option for changing color palettes for Gameboy Mono games (like Super Gameboy for SNES), so perhaps this feature could be added to GBI?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:26 pm

It's a feature of the Game Boy Color's BIOS, there's nothing to add.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Is there a way to change color palettes via GBI?

paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:30 pm

XC-3730C wrote:Is there a way to change color palettes via GBI?

Yes same way as on a regular Gameboy Advance
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/system ... change.jsp
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:33 pm

Extrems wrote:
paulness15 wrote:Do you have any recommendations on settings to use for an LCD user using 240p progressive and zooming?
My recommendation is the default settings.
XC-3730C wrote:Any chance of Gameboy mono palette switching being supported in GBI?
What do you mean?
paulness15 wrote:This means if my LCD monitor is expecting 60hz and I give it 59.7276 Hz, I should have more screen tearing than if I give it something like 59.7800 Hz?
The problem isn't between the TV and the GameCube, but the GameCube and the Game Boy Player.
The problem I have is that the ULL version has slight screen tearing on my TV when I play certain fast running scrolling games and I jump at full speed. The LL version does not have any tearing.
Having a version 'in between' the LL and ULL in terms of frame rate, this would remove the tearing but keep the speed of the ULL version.

What do you think? Do you agree?
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
XC-3730C

Re: RE: Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by XC-3730C » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:09 pm

paulness15 wrote:

Ok I was hoping for some custom clor palettes like what you can do on a on of the old Bung Doctor GB flash carts (there was a custom menu for it called DGB-Max) that let you select on screen what palette you want before you launched the game)
paulness15

Re: RE: Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by paulness15 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:04 pm

XC-3730C wrote:
paulness15 wrote:

Ok I was hoping for some custom clor palettes like what you can do on a on of the old Bung Doctor GB flash carts (there was a custom menu for it called DGB-Max) that let you select on screen what palette you want before you launched the game)

Yeah that is gonna be a lot of work for Extremes. It is asking a bit too much there in terms of development. He is after all working on this for the good of the community for free.
The scope of this project was too have the Game Boy Advance on the TV with an experience that matches the GBA itself. The GBA doesn't have this functionality built in, so this would be just a 'nice to have'.

You can buy one of those old Bung Doctor GB flash carts though and use it on the Game Boy Player perhaps?
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:14 pm

I have two of the 64mb Bung Carts. It would be nice if the Everdrive GB had the palette changing features of DGBmax, so I could have the entire GB library on one microSD card.

64mb is way too small, plus it is kind of a pain to have to dig out my old school PC with parallel port to add games on the Bung Doctor GB carts. I posted on the krikzz forum about possibly adding palette changing features to the Everdrive GB menu.
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:16 pm

XC-3730C wrote:I have two of the 64mb Bung Carts. It would be nice if the Everdrive GB had the palette changing features of DGBmax, so I could have the entire GB library on one microSD card.

64mb is way too small, plus it is kind of a pain to have to dig out my old school PC with parallel port to add games on the Bung Doctor GB carts.

Yeah that would be nice! It is possible that they may make a firmware update for that cart. In fact the last firmware update on that cart was 5 days ago.

You can request it from Krikzz on his site?
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:42 pm

Yeah I already posted on the Everdrive GB forum for this feature.

paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:14 pm

XC-3730C wrote:Yeah I already posted on the Everdrive GB forum for this feature.

Cool! Yeah its not an easy task replicating what the Bung cart is doing there, especially if the source code is no longer available.
--
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:57 pm

It's too bad that the palette options can't be applied to each GB Mono ROM with some sort of utility. That would be a good alternative...

alowishus

Post by alowishus » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:30 pm

I couldn't see this in the thread: Does this support Gameboy Advance as a controller?

Thanks.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:30 pm

Not yet, it'd be in the feature list if it were.
tonycrazy

Post by tonycrazy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:17 pm

I've just registered to say that GBI is the best thing that happened for GB enthusiasts like myself.
It will truly shine with the upcoming GBA Everdrive!

I have a couple Hori Game Boy Player Controllers.
These are perfect to play. Unfortunately, the Select button is wired to the Y button and this can be confusing during gameplay with GBI...

Is there a way to reconfigure the control mapping?

Thx
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:09 pm

I've been enjoying GBI with my mini via component and everything's been looking good but today I got my Everdrive GB so I stuck it in, loaded GBI and... no picture. Nice sound though.

So maybe it's a Gameboy color issue? Stuck in a GBA game and.. same thing.

Bear in mind this worked yesterday and I haven't touched a thing since. Only thing that changed was that I powered down the GameCube.

Also in order to load it I have to go through Super Smash Bros. Melee and Swiss (The GameCube's homebrew launcher) both of which display in 480p perfectly as did GBI yesterday.

(if anyone goes to both yes I also posted this on shmups in the framemeister section, unsure where to go with this issue).

And now it's working for some reason.
ultrageranium

Post by ultrageranium » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:32 pm

Amazing software, thanks a lot for sharing it!

I just learned about it recently and picked up a Game Boy Player to try. I have two questions though:

- At first I wrote the .dol files to my Qoob Pro and when executed it only flashed quickly black and then the GC reset no matter which one of the .dol I tried. Then I discovered Swiss, flashed it too, and from Swiss I could successfully run the three versions stored earlier. Any reason why these cannot be started from the Qoob Pro directly?

- If I understand correctly, arguments can be passed to the software directly from Swiss, given a .dcp file is present. However, by "file is present" am I right to assume that it only works with more advanced filesystem on a SD, HD, DVD, etc, and not from the Qoob Pro on-board flash memory?

Thanks!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:50 am

ultrageranium wrote:Any reason why these cannot be started from the Qoob Pro directly?
I don't know.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:49 pm

ultrageranium wrote: - If I understand correctly, arguments can be passed to the software directly from Swiss, given a .dcp file is present. However, by "file is present" am I right to assume that it only works with more advanced filesystem on a SD, HD, DVD, etc, and not from the Qoob Pro on-board flash memory?
I honestly didn't think anyone would really bother with this, probably easier for you to just buy a SD adapter.
ultrageranium

Post by ultrageranium » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:17 pm

Extrems wrote:
ultrageranium wrote:Any reason why these cannot be started from the Qoob Pro directly?
I don't know.
OK.
emu_kidid wrote:
ultrageranium wrote: - If I understand correctly, arguments can be passed to the software directly from Swiss, given a .dcp file is present. However, by "file is present" am I right to assume that it only works with more advanced filesystem on a SD, HD, DVD, etc, and not from the Qoob Pro on-board flash memory?
I honestly didn't think anyone would really bother with this, probably easier for you to just buy a SD adapter.
Would something like that work?
http://ngc.scorpei.com/GUIDE-SD_adapter.html
ultrageranium

Post by ultrageranium » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:06 pm

I went ahead and built an SD adapter. Works great, I can see the arguments showing up for gbi.dol when I start it from Swiss now. But the few I tested seem ineffective for gbi-ull.dol (I did copy gbi.dcp to gbi-ull.dcp). Could it be that there are in fact none for gbi-ull.dol?
Saxorus

Post by Saxorus » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:03 am

Is source code available for this? I want to add a feature where one can use their GBA as a controller. This is one thing I wish the Gameboy Player would've supported.
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:06 am

This is a planned feature already. Also the official startup disc supports using a GBA as a controller.