Greetings

Welcome to the GC-Forever forums, feel free to introduce yourself here!
Outrunner

Greetings

Post by Outrunner » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:15 am

... and salutations,

New to the scene. Got a german gamecube for 70 euros, dol-001 with controllers, memory card and a few games. Sunday flea market Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Budokai 2, Soul Calibur and Odama. Good deal if you ask me.

A few months after lockdown, went for a gcplug, sd2sp2, more memory than I should have in all forms and a few more controllers. Was a nintendo boy but never actually went past N64. Last portable was GBA in the military, tried to change that for a neo geo pocket. Didnt work. Had the megadrive/mastersystem as well. N had better library. Missed the gamecube, getting to know it now.

Looking forward to weekends with friends and family doing some couch multiplayer with wireless knockoffs and weeks with jrpgs. Great hardware and best looking console, ever. On a hard day I will say fzero gx is the only reason to buy a gamecube.

Hope you people are having fun and not always yaking about dithering. If anyone has a spare odama microphone, send me a message. Need pinball for weekend green days.
Papy.G

Re: Greetings

Post by Papy.G » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:38 am

Hello, and welcome.

I'm not fond of JRPGs but have to admit the GC has had a good selection for that, despite the lack of FFL.

Beware of wireless knockoffs, I've seen a video where the guy said he wasn't able to get a pair working without interfering in a way or another, for me, the absence of rumble kills the feature, either on knockoff or original wavebirds as well.

Zeldas can be a good reason to buy a GameCube, as it's the console that can run the most hardcopies of those games (8 off discs, and 8 with a little help from the GBPlayer, two overlapping, nes episodes, available both ways, and two "optimized ones" on each side).

If you didn't keep your old consoles, emulators for the mainstream 8 and 16 bit era run quite well on the Cube, this can be quite fun for old school multiplayer fun such as Super MK or Super BomberMan.

Dithering is not a big problem anymore as SWISS provide a nice workaround for that.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Outrunner

Post by Outrunner » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:32 am

I have a few broken original controllers, I might try to add the motors from those to the wavebird copies, it might work. Tried with 2 from China, no problems, ordered 2 more from the same company. Will test with four in a few days. Yes, its on the back of mind nagging, no rumble but then again, no wires. I have too many dogs, cats and people running around for cables. Playing on a 82 tv so the distance is also out of the question.

Have taken a look into the zelda options. In fact I bought it for actually doing windwaker as intended along with a few other games. For the gb versions, yes, I would say its the best option. For the rest, not seeing nintendos inhouse emulator for ocarina and mm, I would go with pc emulation. But if you dont have it all setup next to the couch, indeed, the gc is the best option. I have seen snes wireless and nes wireless compatible with original snes and nes as with a pc all in one.

I did but my brother has some sort of disorder with lack of "order", threw them away when he moved to my old house. He did keep his megadrive though ( rascal ).

The dithering side, I have to check how its actually done. I know you can patch images with the wii hex editing or something alike and that swiss supports that function. What I dont know is if some graphical effects are passed correctly without dithering.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:46 pm

Outrunner wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:15 am
Hope you people are having fun and not always yaking about dithering.
Seems you're the one yaking on about it :lol:

Welcome to the forums!