Inject N64 roms into the zelda collector disc?

Discuss emulation on the Gamecube here
Ridley

Inject N64 roms into the zelda collector disc?

Post by Ridley » Mon May 17, 2021 7:01 pm

Hi

Can i inject some N64 roms into Zelda OOT & MM from the collector edition disc?

Because there is no good N64 emulator on IOS and Zelda collector edition disc on Dolphin is running perfectly fine on IOS.

Is it possible to do that?
Andross89

Re: Inject N64 roms into the zelda collector disc?

Post by Andross89 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:29 am

Ridley wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:01 pm
Hi

Can i inject some N64 roms into Zelda OOT & MM from the collector edition disc?

Because there is no good N64 emulator on IOS and Zelda collector edition disc on Dolphin is running perfectly fine on IOS.

Is it possible to do that?
Yes. But I think the best version is the one found on the Master Quest disc. And do not expect great compatibility. I think this method only works in 20 games or less. Everyone with a problem.

You need to search more about this on the Internet because you may end up breaking the rules of this forum.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue May 18, 2021 11:36 pm

If the only way to play N64 on IOS is via Dolphin, why not just use Not64 in Dolphin with some ROMs on "SD"? Or use N64 titles that were released via Wii VC?

You'll have a far better experience than with injected ROMs in the emulators made for the GameCube since they're very limited and mostly only work due to game specific hacks (and the N64 via Wii VC is mostly an extension of that).
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Fri May 28, 2021 8:59 pm

the issue of changing the rom within the game iso, is being able to play the 1.0 version of OoT, and the translated versions of the games.
SWISS USER :geek:
Schñarf

Post by Schñarf » Sun May 30, 2021 12:43 am

Wait, would this be the optimal framework to emulate N64 on GC?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun May 30, 2021 10:08 am

No, read carefully what emu_kidid wrote.

Plus, except if you only use it for one specific game, managing the saves may be unnecessarily complicated.

What Diego wrote is that it may be funnier to inject specific or hacked roms back into the GC ISO to get specific features (such as spanish text (EUR rom) on a NTSC ISO). I personally would love to be able to re-inject french fan-translated versions of the Legend of Zelda and Link's Adventure into the Collector's ISO instead of using FCEUGX (or NesDS) to play them.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Schñarf

Post by Schñarf » Mon May 31, 2021 7:02 pm

I mean, the collector's edition emulator is by far the best-performing N64 emulator on the GameCube. At least in my experience, things such as Not64 and Cube64 border on non-functional on the GameCube, but my setup may be suboptimal.

If the Zelda 64 emulator can be reverse-engineered down to bare bones, I'm pretty sure it would be the best N64 emulator for GC if you could grab codesets to optimize for each game.

Why would you want this? I don't know, but I know I'd like to be able to play my N64 games on my GC homebrew setup similar to SNES games.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon May 31, 2021 7:46 pm

It'd take less effort to make Not64/Cube64 work good than do what you're suggesting.
Schñarf

Post by Schñarf » Mon May 31, 2021 8:07 pm

Extrems wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:46 pm
It'd take less effort to make Not64/Cube64 work good than do what you're suggesting.
Is anybody working on that right now?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:41 pm

No, it only is good because the games it supports allow the hacks it needs to run acceptably well on the cube.

Optimizing for individual games may improve performance, but it would need to get back to the original roms' sourcecode, what would be closer to porting each game than really emulating the hardware.

Legal issues don't allow us to use the official emulator outside of the ISOs either as-is or as an emulator's basis, so at the moment, it is as unpractical to use as those GBA emulators which you have to bind the rom(s) into before beeing able to play.

I too, would love to be able to play fully functionnal N64/PSX emulators on the cube, but it may be that the added processing power between the two generations is still not enough to cope with architecture and instruction sets difference and emulate dedicated hybrid components such as DSPs.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Readmit

Post by Readmit » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:40 am

Extrems wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:46 pm
Is there any chance of improving the N64 emulators for Swiss? Is Wii virtual console emulation of N64 games better than what the GameCube is capable of?