Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Diminuendo
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:32 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Diminuendo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:30 pm

why don't you like using Swiss? if we know your problem with it we might be able to help.
Last edited by Diminuendo on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinchandoidao6669
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by shinchandoidao6669 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Diminuendo wrote:why don't you like using Swiss? if we know your problem with it we might be able to help.

Hi Diminueno!
Because for me use Swiss i need buy a sd reader and a bigger memory card. I have only gray memory card 59 blocks and Swiss is bigger for this.
I play Gameboy Interface normally in my Gamecube with S-Video cable but i cant change any configuration because i dont use Swiss.
In my memory card have a Wind Waker Hack and Game Boy Interface. I using GBI because Zoom, but i like more GBILL because lag and colors.
Thanks again
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:40 pm

  • Added CLI append support.

Code: Select all

copy /b gbi.dol + gbi.cli boot.dol
dol2gci boot.dol gbi.gci
For ultra-low latency version:
  • Removed horizontal scale.
TimelessGamingUK
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by TimelessGamingUK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with an issue I'm having. I'm trying to record Game Boy footage to a DVD recorder using the GBI but for some reason when I check the footage the picture has cut out immediately after the game starts (though the sound continues to record). This doesn't happen when I'm using the Game Boy Player with the exact same set up. I've tried using all of the different GBI modes but none seem to work. Anyone have any suggestions at all?

In case it helps my set up is: PAL GameCube/Game Boy Player, Action Replay, SD card launcher, composite cable, Sony RDR-GX120.

Thanks in advance.
User avatar
Guspaz
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:16 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Guspaz » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:01 pm

GBI uses NTSC timings by default for the ULL and LL versions, so perhaps your DVD recorder doesn't like getting NTSC timing over a PAL composite cable?

The maximum compatibility for a PAL recorder is going to be the full (not ULL or LL) version, with the following settings:

--format=pal
--scan-mode=interlace

You can use that as a starting point (assuming it works) and try to figure out in what ways you can improve the quality while still having it record. It's not ideal because at 50Hz, you're going to be dropping a lot of frames from the game boy to convert that ~59.7 Hz signal to a 50 Hz display.

Also, try starting the recording *after* the game starts, perhaps your DVD recorder can't handle the video output resetting or changing.
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Guspaz wrote:It's not ideal because at 50Hz, you're going to be dropping a lot of frames from the game boy to convert that ~59.7 Hz signal to a 50 Hz display.
They aren't dropped, they're blended.
theclaw
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by theclaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:54 am

shinchandoidao6669 wrote:
Diminuendo wrote:why don't you like using Swiss? if we know your problem with it we might be able to help.

Hi Diminueno!
Because for me use Swiss i need buy a sd reader and a bigger memory card. I have only gray memory card 59 blocks and Swiss is bigger for this.
I play Gameboy Interface normally in my Gamecube with S-Video cable but i cant change any configuration because i dont use Swiss.
In my memory card have a Wind Waker Hack and Game Boy Interface. I using GBI because Zoom, but i like more GBILL because lag and colors.
Thanks again


Have you tried buying a black 251 block memory card?
Nintendo's white 1019 block memory card seems to have been only released in North America, but if you're elsewhere and still want one don't overpay an import dealer too much. It's affordable and easy to find online here.

The console's operating system actually accepts up to 2043 blocks. 3rd party 2043 cards are not a mistake.
Vasid
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:45 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Vasid » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:27 pm

I haven't checked out GBI in a while, but I'm glad to see the LL version has support for the Hori GBP controller! Now my GBP boot disc is truly obsolete! Awesome work Extrems!
jumbotron
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by jumbotron » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Hello. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone had any ideas, but I'm having problems getting my Everdrive GBA and GB to run on GBI-LL. I've already asked over on the ED forums and cleaned out my contacts (on the carts and system) with extreme scrutiny, so I thought I'd see if maybe you guys had an idea.

Basically, with GBI and GBI-ULL, I get a black or blank screen on first boot, a reset fixes the issue and everything works fine, even between repeated resets unless I reset too fast. However, if I go to use GBI-LL, the EDGB almost never loads. The screen goes completely black (not even a border like I normally have) or blank with a border, a weird clicking noise plays most of the time, occasionally I get a pink screen with a border. Very, very rarely will the EDGB boot with GBI-LL, and when it does, it does not happen consistently between resets. GBI-LL and the other versions all run fine with legitimate games, and as far as I can tell others are having success using the ED's on GBI.

I'm using default settings (or mostly default, as I sometimes force 240p, which doesn't affect performance one way or another) on a SHARP CRT (not certain on exact model as I've had it for years) through SVIDEO (which is why I don't just use ULL given I get black and white video through ULL). I've tried different SD cards for loading Swiss, as well as different cards/no cards on my EDs. The issue only happens on the EDs when using LL.

EDIT: I'm using the latest version, but it happened on the previous version of GBI, as well. Swiss is r401, loaded with an SD Gecko and Action Replay.

EDIT: It's not a display issue at all. I guess it's got to be contact, but I'm not sure if I can clean it any better. Guess I'll have to give it a shot, though.
shinchandoidao6669
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by shinchandoidao6669 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:01 am

theclaw wrote:
shinchandoidao6669 wrote:
Diminuendo wrote:why don't you like using Swiss? if we know your problem with it we might be able to help.

Hi Diminueno!
Because for me use Swiss i need buy a sd reader and a bigger memory card. I have only gray memory card 59 blocks and Swiss is bigger for this.
I play Gameboy Interface normally in my Gamecube with S-Video cable but i cant change any configuration because i dont use Swiss.
In my memory card have a Wind Waker Hack and Game Boy Interface. I using GBI because Zoom, but i like more GBILL because lag and colors.
Thanks again


Have you tried buying a black 251 block memory card?
Nintendo's white 1019 block memory card seems to have been only released in North America, but if you're elsewhere and still want one don't overpay an import dealer too much. It's affordable and easy to find online here.

The console's operating system actually accepts up to 2043 blocks. 3rd party 2043 cards are not a mistake.


Hi theclaw
I made a lot of tests with the swiss but im happy with GBI LL with no Zoom. No need swiss for this and graphics and lag is much better. If in future, release a GBI LL version with zoom i try again, but for now GBI LL is perfect for me :)

Thanks again for everyone ;)
bobrocks95
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by bobrocks95 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:43 pm

The latest version of GBI LL does have a zoom feature actually.
zanto1
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:02 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by zanto1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:04 am

Hi! I'm having trouble playing GB games that use the select button, because when I press it on my controller, it doesn't do anything. I know the button is working because I've tested it with other games not using GBI. Am I doing anything wrong?
shinchandoidao6669
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by shinchandoidao6669 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:23 am

bobrocks95 wrote:The latest version of GBI LL does have a zoom feature actually.
Ok. How i put zoom in dcp file? I try but in swiss no show zoom options
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:45 pm

zanto1 wrote:Hi! I'm having trouble playing GB games that use the select button, because when I press it on my controller, it doesn't do anything. I know the button is working because I've tested it with other games not using GBI. Am I doing anything wrong?
If this is the Hori controller, look at the mappings for the Y button.
shinchandoidao6669 wrote:Ok. How i put zoom in dcp file? I try but in swiss no show zoom options
2.375x zoom for SDTV:

Code: Select all

--zoom=1.1875
--scaler=oversample
--scan-mode=interlace
2.375x zoom for EDTV:

Code: Select all

--zoom=1.1875
--scaler=oversample
--format=custom
--scan-mode=progressive
16:9 aspect correction:

Code: Select all

--zoom=.75:1
--scaler=oversample
3x zoom for SDTV:

Code: Select all

--zoom=1.5
--scan-mode=interlace
3x zoom for EDTV:

Code: Select all

--zoom=1.5
--format=custom
--scan-mode=progressive
You can now append these to the DOL to avoid using Swiss.
shinchandoidao6669
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by shinchandoidao6669 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Extrems wrote:
zanto1 wrote:Hi! I'm having trouble playing GB games that use the select button, because when I press it on my controller, it doesn't do anything. I know the button is working because I've tested it with other games not using GBI. Am I doing anything wrong?
If this is the Hori controller, look at the mappings for the Y button.
shinchandoidao6669 wrote:Ok. How i put zoom in dcp file? I try but in swiss no show zoom options
2.375x zoom for SDTV:

Code: Select all

--zoom=1.1875
--scaler=oversample
--scan-mode=interlace
2.375x zoom for EDTV:

Code: Select all

--zoom=1.1875
--scaler=oversample
--format=custom
--scan-mode=progressive
16:9 aspect correction:

Code: Select all

--zoom=.75:1
--scaler=oversample
3x zoom for SDTV:

Code: Select all

--zoom=1.5
--scan-mode=interlace
3x zoom for EDTV:

Code: Select all

--zoom=1.5
--format=custom
--scan-mode=progressive
You can now append these to the DOL to avoid using Swiss.
i made gbi-ll.dcp with this code only:
--zoom=1.1875
--scaler=oversample
--format=custom
--scan-mode=progressive

But not working. :(
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:10 pm

It's a .cli, not .dcp.
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:05 pm

For low latency version:
  • Changed reset combo behavior.
For GBA-as-GC controller:
  • Added GBA-as-N64 controller.
  • Improved compatibility with controller adapters.
shinchandoidao6669
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by shinchandoidao6669 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Extrems wrote:It's a .cli, not .dcp.
Works, for 2.5X Zoom ?
Can use this only with Swiss?
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Again, you can append to the DOL to avoid using Swiss.

Code: Select all

copy /b gbi-ll.dol + gbi-ll.cli boot.dol
dol2gci boot.dol gbi-ll.gci
shinchandoidao6669
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by shinchandoidao6669 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:30 pm

Thanks again,
What is the valeu for 2.5x zoom?
Where i find dol2gci.exe?
Thanks
shinchandoidao6669
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by shinchandoidao6669 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:38 am

Extrems wrote:Again, you can append to the DOL to avoid using Swiss.

Code: Select all

copy /b gbi-ll.dol + gbi-ll.cli boot.dol
dol2gci boot.dol gbi-ll.gci
Thanks for all support! This is best way to play gba games for me.
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:01 pm

  • Updated color matrices by Pokefan531.
For GBA-as-GC controller:
  • Added auto sleep when disconnected.
  • Improved power saving.
korn16ftl3
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by korn16ftl3 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:24 pm

is it possible to get this as a DOL on the viper flash memory?
User avatar
Streetwalker
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:50 am
Location: Israel

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Streetwalker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:40 pm

You should use iplboot like I've told you in the other thread. It can quickly boot any DOL from an SD card.
niuus
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by niuus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:26 am

Hey Extrems, you were featured in the latest Gaming Historian episode:

https://youtu.be/GfkeQYpGkAQ
Post Reply