GCHD Mk2 - upgrading firmware

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
b0ggl3

GCHD Mk2 - upgrading firmware

Post by b0ggl3 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Hi everyone

I wasn't sure if this was the right forum for this question, apologies if it isn't.

I have previously updated the firmware on my GCDual internal mod using an SPI flasher and this afternoon decided to get my GCHD mk2 updated too. When I opened up the GCHD mk2 I see the board flashing points aren't labelled (on either side of the board). Is anyone able to point me to a suitable resource that will show me which pins to connect to the specific headers on the SPI flasher please?

Thanks for any help or advice
dilav

Re: GCHD Mk2 - upgrading firmware

Post by dilav » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:36 am

Bridge JP1 to disable.
J2 header is SPI.
In the following order (Parentheses = Silk Screen):
(J2) MOSI CLK MISO CS 3V3 GND (CON2)
lufeig

Post by lufeig » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:53 am

i updated my eon ghcd mkii thanks to @dilav and @citrus3000psi. thank you very much!

i made this picture based on the pinout provided by @dilav. i soldered a 6 pin bar to the mkii board because i only had female-female wires. for the firmware update you have to bridge jp1 using a tiny drop of solder.
_IMG_20200811_171402.jpg
(1.07 MiB) Not downloaded yet
connect it to the ch341a programmer by connecting their corresponding pins.
IMG_20200811_191358.jpg
(227.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
configure ch341 programmer according to the picture below
configuracao ch341a.png
(42.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
make a firmware backup file by clicking the read button, then save it in a safe place. if anything goes wrong, ever, you can restore it using this file.

download the latest firmware from dans repository at http://dansprojects.com/firmware/GCHD_MK2/

extract it, load its .bin file on the CH341A Programmer, click the auto button.

if the new firmware is flashed successfully, unbridge jp1 and enjoy your updated adapter. future updates can be made using the .dol method.
BigSplodge

Post by BigSplodge » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:15 pm

Hi, I just followed your really helpful guide here to try and update my GCHD-MKii, but unfortunately, it seems to have resulted in a blank chip that I can’t flash with any new .bin from Dan’s repository.

Both “CH341A Programmer” and “AsProgrammer” read the chip as blank (all “F”) once I had it connected and both fail when trying to flash any new firmware. AsProgrammer suggests that write protection is still enabled, despite J1 being bridged.

I’ve triple check my connections vs the diagram here and also triple checked that J1 is properly bridged.

Just wondered if anyone here had any other ideas that might save me from a very expensive paper weight?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!