Modifying Qoob Pro Firmware?

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
ShockSlayer

Modifying Qoob Pro Firmware?

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:32 am

Hey guys, it's your old pal ShockSlayer here. You know, that ShockSlayer.

Anyways, as you could see above, I've recently finished a GCp, and I've got a Qoob Pro in it. Seeing as how I'm also using the Wiikey Fusion mod, there's not any really practical reason for having the qoob, seeing as how mainly it's used for patching the DVD drive, and the WKF eliminates the need for this.

However, I have it in there because I really like the idea of having the portable boot up to my own custom background, plus I get the added bonus of the onboard flash, meaning I can boot swiss(and subsequently homebrew from SD) without the need of the WKF, which is a nice bonus if I forget the WKF SD card for some reason.

At the same time, I'm also offered the disadvantage of having to hold either X or Y when booting up the GC, because the qoob doesn't recognize the Wiikey Fusion, and as a result it gives the message of "ERROR: DRIVE NOT SUPPORTED." So, if I boot up the cube holding nothing, I get my custom background, but then it hangs indefinitly. :lol:
X boots to the original bios, and Y boots to the menu, like normal.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to boot the cube, have it display my image for a few seconds, then boot to the original bios. I'd be fine with holding Y to boot to the Qoob Menu, seeing as how it's not something I use all that often.

It'd be neat if there was some way to get the qoob to recognize the WKF and boot to the game selection menu, but I doubt that's possible seeing as how the WKF requires that switch to activate it. I'm not sure though, this isn't really my thing.

Aaaanyways, I'm pretty much trying to figure out how to go about opening and editing the Qoob's firmware. I'm not really sure about doing much of anything, honestly the extent of my knowledge ends with some very minor iso "hacking" that I did with Super Smash Bros. I figure I'm in way over my head, but I'm willing to give it a shot, maybe learn a few things.

I know the qoob pro is a pretty popular chip, so I figure maybe a few people here would be able to point me in the right direction, perhaps help me figure out what tools I would need to open and mess around with the firmware files here: http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/downlo ... php?id=109

Any input and help is appreciated!

SS
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Modifying Qoob Pro Firmware?

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 am

Qoob PRO firmware is encrypted/obfuscated. I have a dump of it unencrypted but it's not worth your trouble as it checks itself if it's running unencrypted/etc.

I would recommend waiting until I get Swiss working on the Qoob, just a matter of compiling it differently. Or you could have one of the many talented devs here whip you up a simple app that shows your logo then goes to the original IPL (you'd lose the hold Y/X Qoob Bios abilities though).
ShockSlayer

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:09 am

Ah, I suppose that makes sense...nothing's ever easy! :P

I would be okay with that, if anyone's interested, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

And I'm looking forward to the Swiss release, I'm guessing your adding a way to change the background or something?

SS
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:03 pm

I could be wrong, but couldn't SS just install a switch on the Qoob's power connection to just turn it on and off? That way he wouldn't always have to hold buttons at boot? Just turn it on when you want to direct boot some homebrew.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Yes he certainly could :)
ShockSlayer

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:04 am

Course I could. Then again, holding the buttons at boot really isn't all that bad, I'm actually fairly used to it now. :P

Question: would it be possible to port something like Crazyintro over to the GC?
infact

Post by infact » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:14 pm

I had started something like this some time ago, i called it tiny boot.

tiny -> fits on qoob sx and viper gc flash
boot -> just boots everything you need.

feature list:
- simple "one button click"-usage
- can unlock the dvd drive
- can execute the original bios
- can access the onboard flashfilesystem (qoob pro / viper extreme)
--> can launch executeables from flash (with shortcut for swiss)
- can launch executables from usb (usbgecko / viper usb adapter)
- can show you some information about your cube
- fully configurable
--> could be configured with timeout, default action and custom picture
---> maybe this is something for you, shockslayer

Unfortunately this is not finished yet. I use a partially working version on my viper extreme.
I did not post anything about it before, cause i did not want to be in competition with swiss,
but if you are interested, just post here, what features you need and i will see, what i can do for you ;-)
Attachments
tinyboot.png
tiny boot screenshot
(72.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
infact
Image Image
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:54 am

i wouldn't see this as competition, more like an addon or something? ;)
all of you guys should collaborate more!
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
ShockSlayer

Post by ShockSlayer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:05 am

Oh, my. Color me super-interested!

I pretty much would want it to boot straight up to a changeable image(compatible with qoob background format?) for about 3 seconds, then boot straight into the IPL unless a button is pressed. If I'm correct, that would give me enough time to press the WKF button, then it would boot up to the WKF like it was a regular game.

Combined with an automatic relay for the WKF or something, you could literally turn on the portable, and within a few seconds you'd be right at the games menu! That would be so super awesome! :o

SS
ShockSlayer

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:01 am

I check this topic like 20 times a day, any news? :P
Lupin3rd

Post by Lupin3rd » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:36 am

infact wrote:I had started something like this some time ago, i called it tiny boot.

tiny -> fits on qoob sx and viper gc flash
boot -> just boots everything you need.

feature list:
- simple "one button click"-usage
- can unlock the dvd drive
- can execute the original bios
- can access the onboard flashfilesystem (qoob pro / viper extreme)
--> can launch executeables from flash (with shortcut for swiss)
- can launch executables from usb (usbgecko / viper usb adapter)
- can show you some information about your cube
- fully configurable
--> could be configured with timeout, default action and custom picture
---> maybe this is something for you, shockslayer

Unfortunately this is not finished yet. I use a partially working version on my viper extreme.
I did not post anything about it before, cause i did not want to be in competition with swiss,
but if you are interested, just post here, what features you need and i will see, what i can do for you ;-)

Can I use it on my Viper GC to boot directly swiss form SD Gecko on Slot B? :D