Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Cuddles
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:39 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Cuddles » Fri May 29, 2020 9:30 pm

Extrems wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:28 pm
Are you looking for /DCIM/100NINTD/GBIXXXXX.PNG?

Download the main & extra packages and extract to your SD Card. That's all there is to it.
There is no folder called that on the SD card that I can see.
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Fri May 29, 2020 9:32 pm

Wait, don't you also have a SD2SP2? That's the SD Card GBI is using.
Cuddles
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:39 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Cuddles » Fri May 29, 2020 9:35 pm

Extrems wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:32 pm
Wait, don't you also have a SD2SP2? That's the SD Card GBI is using.
ah yeah I do. That is where the screen shots are being saved. Does GBI default all configurations to the SD2SP2 if you have it plugged in? I've been trying to run GBI off an SD Gecko with settings on there.
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Fri May 29, 2020 9:38 pm

Again, GBI is not responsible for that. It's just accepting command-line arguments from the loader.

When the program path cannot be determined, the default device is, in-order: Serial Port 2, Memory Slot B, Memory Slot A.
Cuddles
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:39 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Cuddles » Fri May 29, 2020 9:43 pm

Extrems wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:38 pm
Again, GBI is not responsible for that. It's just accepting command-line arguments from the loader.

When the program path cannot be determined, the default device is, in-order: Serial Port 2, Memory Slot B, Memory Slot A.
Well I got it working.

It wasn't wanting to work from my SD Gecko. As soon as I put everything on my SD2SP2 the border popped right up. :?
Cuddles
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:39 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Cuddles » Sat May 30, 2020 12:17 am

a few more quick questions.

Does picking the options in Swiss override the same options in the .cli file? Say I pick NTSC in Swiss but my .cli file says PAL50. What one will be applied?

Also does GBI default to 240p? If not how do I enable that in the .cli file?

Thank you
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Sat May 30, 2020 1:13 am

Cuddles wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:17 am
Does picking the options in Swiss override the same options in the .cli file?
The arguments list built from DCP options is appended to the arguments list from the CLI, and arguments are parsed in order.
Note that parsing ends on '--'.
Cuddles wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:17 am
Say I pick NTSC in Swiss but my .cli file says PAL50. What one will be applied?
NTSC.
Cuddles wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:17 am
Also does GBI default to 240p? If not how do I enable that in the .cli file?
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface/Standard_Edition#--scan-mode
Cuddles
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:39 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Cuddles » Sat May 30, 2020 1:21 am

Extrems wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:13 am
Cuddles wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:17 am
Does picking the options in Swiss override the same options in the .cli file?
The arguments list built from DCP options is appended to the arguments list from the CLI, and arguments are parsed in order.
Note that parsing ends on '--'.
Cuddles wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:17 am
Say I pick NTSC in Swiss but my .cli file says PAL50. What one will be applied?
NTSC.
Cuddles wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:17 am
Also does GBI default to 240p? If not how do I enable that in the .cli file?
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface/Standard_Edition#--scan-mode
Ah alright. makes sense on the options.

as for the 240p what one of those options would be 240p exactly? progressive correct?
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Sat May 30, 2020 1:22 am

'--format=ntsc' '--scan-mode=progressive' would be 480p.
Cuddles
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:39 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Cuddles » Sat May 30, 2020 3:52 am

Extrems wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:22 am
'--format=ntsc' '--scan-mode=progressive' would be 480p.
Thanks for the information. I managed to work out the resoultion and its looking nice

I saw that you can stream with the BBA and I have one. I currently have my BBA working and GBI has an IP

What program exactly do you need to use to open the stream? I've tried udp://192.168.1.138:1234 in VLC with it saying its loading but no results
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Sat May 30, 2020 3:57 am

Extrems wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:54 pm
You can create a Media Source with "udp://<GC IP>:1234/" as input and "png_pipe" as input format.
However, FFmpeg assumes a frame rate of 25 by default, so it'll play slow.

I recommend you use mpv like so, and Game Capture it:

Code: Select all

mpv udp://<GC IP>:1234/ --demuxer-lavf-format=png_pipe --demuxer-lavf-o=framerate=59.7275 --scale=oversample
Of course, streaming has to be enabled first with "--stream=<PC IP>"
Format auto-detection will not work.
Cuddles
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:39 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Cuddles » Sat May 30, 2020 4:10 am

Extrems wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:57 am
Extrems wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:54 pm
You can create a Media Source with "udp://<GC IP>:1234/" as input and "png_pipe" as input format.
However, FFmpeg assumes a frame rate of 25 by default, so it'll play slow.

I recommend you use mpv like so, and Game Capture it:

Code: Select all

mpv udp://<GC IP>:1234/ --demuxer-lavf-format=png_pipe --demuxer-lavf-o=framerate=59.7275 --scale=oversample
Of course, streaming has to be enabled first with "--stream=<PC IP>"
Format auto-detection will not work.
So do I open a power shell and pass it those commands or do I input those in the console of mvp?
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Sat May 30, 2020 4:55 am

The console of mpv? It's a command-line application to begin with.
Cuddles
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:39 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Cuddles » Sat May 30, 2020 6:06 am

Extrems wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:55 am
The console of mpv? It's a command-line application to begin with.
Ah yeah it is. I just don't know how to pass those arguments to it.

Is there any way to use VLC for it? If not that's fine. I rather not dive deep into command lines right now.
MR.JOE
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:01 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by MR.JOE » Sat May 30, 2020 3:58 pm

MR.JOE wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:46 pm
First of all thanks for this amazing piece of software.
I know the topic of SNES controller adapters has been raised a couple of times. Although I've comfortably tried using Y/B as A/B in the Type C control scheme, it feels somehow awkward to my button memory when playing on a SNES controller. Would it be possible to add another control scheme allowing for X/Y to be mapped as A/B (and leaving the A/B buttons as unmapped to avoid accidently hitting them)? Thanks in advance!
I have the impression this question slightly fell under the table. Any chance of adding this in a future version? Thanks!
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Sun May 31, 2020 10:33 pm

I've now partially fulfilled your wish with control type E.
MR.JOE
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:01 am

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by MR.JOE » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:42 pm

Thank you so much, works very very well. I also like the mapping of X/A on the SNES controller as A/B. That's also enabled in control type E now by coincidence.
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:02 pm

You can thank PlayStation controller adapters for that.
mindscan
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:45 pm

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by mindscan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:52 pm

Can somebody PLEASE help me, I’ve been trying to figure this out just reading help on gbinterface on retrorgb, but I still don’t get it, I’m a complete noob to gamecube modding and gameboy interface.

GBI seems to always output in 480p for me, no matter what I do (even if I change bootup settings going thru Swiss) I don’t understand how to boot it to output 240p.
I am using a softmodded gamecube with a Carby Component Cable and an OSSC.
I was reading somewhere that there’s a slight issue with carby component cables and OSSC, and I need to input some special line of code in the settings or something, but I have no clue how to adjust any settings in GBI
Pls help if you can
User avatar
Papy.G
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:14 am
Location: France, Occitanie
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Papy.G » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:00 am

What's wrong with 480p?

Trying to get 240p through digital output may lead to serious trouble, as very few devices support it. So there is an option in GCVideo to line-double 240p in order to output it as 480p for better compatibility, maybe you set it "on".

With the regular GBI, you can zoom in and out, if zoom at 3x gives sqare pixels, you're in real 480p, if it is ugly looking, then you're in line-doubled 240p.

I think I have read somewhere that a 360p mode exists for those who use component output and OSSC, this information may be irrelevant with newer firmwares.
DMG/MF OC, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
mindscan
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:45 pm

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by mindscan » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:20 pm

Because my OSSC can 5x 240p to a super sharp 1200p, and has better scanline options than GCVideo
Although its 2x results on a 480p input are also not bad, which comes to a 960p signal
mindscan
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:45 pm

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by mindscan » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 pm

I also find that GBIHF runs way better, less lag and smoother framerate, but can’t figure out how to set up zoom using gbihf, is that possible?
User avatar
Papy.G
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:14 am
Location: France, Occitanie
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Papy.G » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:13 am

I thought GBI HF had to make the tradeoff of zoom ability for speed, but there seems to have a little possibilities.

Take a look there, and compare with the GBI "regular" CLI, so you can make a GBIHF.cli then.

Beware that it is highly recommended to have a GCVideo device updated to V3 and higher!

However, zooming to 3x in 480p in the regular GBI, then 2x in the OSSC will give you 6x final zoom in a 960lines picture, whereas 5x in the OSSC in a 1200 lines picture will lead to much waste (6x160=960/960->100% / 5*160=800/1200->66%)

Outputting the GBPlayer with scanlines seems quite wrong and inaccurate in regard to the real hardware. Getting a grid pattern would be far more interresting IMHO.
DMG/MF OC, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
User avatar
Extrems
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:30 pm

You do not want to do that, because of chroma subsampling, and the Carby Component Cable will eat 3 pixel columns on the right.

Ideally you'd want to use 360p, but again, that won't work with the Carby Component Cable.

There's a preset specially for this situation: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... nent_Cable

You'd be better off using an updated CARBY with a cheap HDMI to YPbPr converter.
mindscan
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:45 pm

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by mindscan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:23 am

Extrems wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:30 pm
You do not want to do that, because of chroma subsampling, and the Carby Component Cable will eat 3 pixel columns on the right.

Ideally you'd want to use 360p, but again, that won't work with the Carby Component Cable.

There's a preset specially for this situation: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... nent_Cable

You'd be better off using an updated CARBY with a cheap HDMI to YPbPr converter.
yeah I've been wondering if it'd be better to just buy a Carby and use a converter.. idk.
using the regular GBI.dol and zooming, then using OSSC to 2x 480p to 960p is the best result ive found so far.. but I would prefer to be able to use GBIHF zoomed if thats possible.

I tried the gbihf-carby+ossc.dol+cli with my ossc, but it looks blurrier than the regular one. with extra halos around the pixels.. think im also supposed to adjust some advanced settings on the OSSC itself for it as well, but i still havent figured all that out yet, i mostly use pretty default settings on my OSSC for other stuff.
Post Reply