Swiss 0.1

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
WiiPower

Re: Swiss 0.1

Post by WiiPower » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi emu_kidid, good to see that you were busy, good work. I'd like to steal the 480p code for NeoGamma, but i can't use it because i only have 20 bytes of memory left. Is there any chance to use the code, but without needing additional memory? I see that the game is patched to jump to the function in memory, is that function still executed? Or does the blr at the end means the patch function is just put in between? If the function is replaced, is it bigger or smaller than the replacement? Ok, i guess if it was that easy and clean(in my eyes...), you'd have done it already...

Do you have any advice for me? Right now i'm considering to search some unused memory between 0x80001000 and 0x80001800.
panmusic wrote:
Rage518 wrote:What problems have other people had with Wind Waker? I've been playing it for over 6 hrs with loading it from SD Media Launcher with no problems. The only "issues" are heavy loading scenes like when an island comes into close view when sailing and it stutters for a second or two, or when going in and out of loading scenes between areas the sound stutters for a second. Other than that the game has been running great, I'm using revision 62 of swiss and the game and my cube are NTSC.
Try to open the map inside a dungeon.Instant freeze always. ;)
This only happens on a Wii, and it looks like it's due to some GPU change from gamecube to Wii. Swiss contains a patch that should fix this issue, but i guess it's not applied, or the regions are switched or something. If i could compile Swiss, i think i could fix it in a few minutes.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:02 pm

WiiPower, you could stick that code anywhere and branch to it, perhaps over a few of the unused video timings, or over some useless UART function/etc. I was going to write my own way to do it but this way just works so I left it as-is. I do need to try a few other games which don't want to force such as 007 Nightfire (but I wasn't sure if it was cause it reloaded other DOL's).
WiiPower

Post by WiiPower » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:12 am

emu_kidid wrote:WiiPower, you could stick that code anywhere and branch to it, perhaps over a few of the unused video timings, or over some useless UART function/etc. I was going to write my own way to do it but this way just works so I left it as-is. I do need to try a few other games which don't want to force such as 007 Nightfire (but I wasn't sure if it was cause it reloaded other DOL's).
I think all the 007 games reload some .dol or .elf, so if you didn't add the 480p patch into the prepatcher, that's most likely the reason why it does not work. Hmm, now that i think about it, i want a solution that survives reload processes, which means i need tons of free memory.
tonyXS

Post by tonyXS » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:00 am

hey hey guys, i only want to say "thanks" Emu kid and for your effort i am thankful with you , always do your best man n_n, i speak spanish and is some difficult to writte in olther lengue , sorry if i writte bad or something like that
Rage518

Post by Rage518 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks for answering my question about wind waker on wii guys
roubagalinhas

Post by roubagalinhas » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:52 pm

i've completed the game without using the dungeon map :lol:
if i'm not mistaken i only missed two treasure chests
sakamoto

Post by sakamoto » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:09 pm

booting emulators from tantric with swiss doesnt work 100%. emulators boot fine with sdload without memory issues. with swiss, emulotors work but gameplay is always choppy?

i tried it with latest version available for viper (r62) on this forum and latest version available on googlecode (r83)... same results
Image DOL-001 EUR Viper GC Extreme | Image DOL-001 EUR Wiikey Fusion or Wode? (soon)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:47 am

Yes I've noticed there's also no audio from the later versions of the emulator, I need to look into it.. sounds like I'm not de-initializing something properly.
computerboy

Post by computerboy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:18 pm

I was wondering if you could guide me to the right direction, Emulator Kid...

What I wanted to do was modify Swiss (for myself) whereby I can load a specific (hard coded) file so instead of being presented with a GUI, I would just load the game that has been hardcoded into the source to load a game from SD Gecko. Using this, I can then modify Wii Swiss Booter (thanks for the source, WiiPower) to boot said .dol so that I can go directly to a GameCube game.

This is so I can create a channel on my Wii for every specific GameCube game on my SD Card (maybe with some animated banners too!).

Sure its a pain when an update is made by yourselves to the Swiis source, but meh. You can't have everything! I'm just hoping to recompile everything!

Thanks.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:28 pm

computerboy, just look at select speed, select slot functions/etc and the device mapping and do everything the GUI does without user actions.. I think it'd be easier to wait for me to add support as I've been meaning to get around to it for a while now.. :p

How do the loaders pass in params, via argv,argc? If so, which array slot do they use?
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:28 pm

computerboy wrote:Emulator Kid...
:mrgreen:
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
Naxil

Post by Naxil » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:21 am

hi... i have SDgecko with wii..
I have try 2 different backup of WIndWAKER but not start ...
the video remain in blackscreen and nothing appen..
Animal Crossing Run perfectly..
any help??
I start swiss with wiipower "swiss boot" 0.3 or with WIIXplorer
computerboy

Post by computerboy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:13 pm

That's great news, Emulator Kid.

I will wait for your official version in that case. Thanks.
WiiPower

Post by WiiPower » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:23 pm

@emu_kidid:
Why???

Seriously, why?

1. http://code.google.com/p/swiss-gc/wiki/Compiling

Is step 2 still required? I skipped it and it still worked, so i guess the code is more user friendly now.

Step 3, overwrite stuff in my libogc folder, so other stuff gets compiled differently? Is this still required, or is "-Wl,--section-start,.init=0x81300000" in the makefile a change that made it unnecessary? Anyways, why not something like this:
LDFLAGS = -g $(MACHDEP) -Wl,-Map,$(notdir $@).map -Wl,--section-start,.init=0x81300000 -T../../linker-script/vgcogc.ld

Then it wouldn't be necessary to change it in the devkit folder.

Step 4, again overwrite stuff in my libogc folder? How about:
LIBDIRS := $(DEVKITPPC)/lib $(CURDIR)
and changing the makeme.bat, so it builds the lib, and copies the .a file into the lib folder from Swiss.

2. Didn't i tell you that i did not know which of the 2 patches for Wind Waker belongs to which version of the game? I traced down the problem, zeldaVAT gets correctly set to 1 for my PAL disc, and the patch pattern is named GXSETVAT_PAL_orig. But my extracted main.dol contains the pattern from GXSETVAT_NTSC_orig.

If Swiss was compilable right out of the box, i would have found this months ago. I seriously thought that it was some complicated bug.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:26 am

@WiiPower

1. Step 2 is required if you're building MODIFIED assembly routines to read from SD or IDE-EXI. I've updated the compiling guide to reflect this.

The linker script vgcogc was only ever used by GCOS as far as I can recall.. but sure, when I get some time I can fix that too, same goes for your step 4 changes..

2. Nice find, I haven't had the time/energy to look that up, nor do I have NTSC Zelda WW.
sakamoto

Post by sakamoto » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:27 am

i have troubles booting following games:

- metroid prime 1 (completely crashed with a swiss code dump)
- star fox adventures (freezes with internal gamecube error message in the gamemenu)

are both games confirmed not to work with the current swiss revision?

edit: i meant star fox adventures instead of assault
Last edited by sakamoto on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image DOL-001 EUR Viper GC Extreme | Image DOL-001 EUR Wiikey Fusion or Wode? (soon)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:50 am

sakamoto, current being r62?

For metroid, use low level, low memory patch location
sakamoto

Post by sakamoto » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:13 am

default settings (low level/low memory) should indeed work, however ntsc version is broken in r83:

Metroid Prime PAL works with swiss r62 and swiss r83
Metroid Prime NTSC works with swiss r62 but broken in r83 (results in stack code dump)

i also noticed that Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time PAL (multi pack) does not work with swiss r62 and 83. the game should boot fine after swiss' pre-patching according to the wiki. i used a clean image and received twice the message (internal error occured. pls reboot your gamecube)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:29 am

interesting finds sakamoto, I will look at them this week..
julius

Post by julius » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:39 pm

He he, it seems sakamoto has my same problem with Zelda Ocarina of Time/Master Quest, but mine is NTSC version. Any solution for this issue?
sakamoto

Post by sakamoto » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:28 pm

it seems like audio streaming games (Zelda Ocarina of Time and StarfoxAdventures) are broken in latest releases as from r62. i only have those 2 audio streaming games in my possession to test swiss.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 pm

sakamoto, I've found the issue, and fixed it in r85.. release pending soon once I fix a few things.
sakamoto

Post by sakamoto » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:24 pm

'emulator kid' is god ;)

good job
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:05 pm

could someone with the ability to build Swiss please try r89 with Windwaker on Wii and the dungeon map issue?

following comments from WiiPower, it indeed was the case that I had the PAL/NTSC patches swapped around.
sakamoto

Post by sakamoto » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:34 pm

i will compile latest release tomorrow evening (Belgian time) and provide you with feedback. windwaker PAL did not have the dungeon map bug with release 84 afaik.