Swiss Nightly Build

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
S_A_K_U_L
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:04 am

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by S_A_K_U_L » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:11 am

megalomaniac wrote:swiss_r294 posted
"Fix issue with 2 disc detection."

Does disc swapping work with Swiss r294?
If yes, how to use it?
Sugurain
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:21 am

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by Sugurain » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:27 am

How can I burn a DVD with the latest Swiss release?
My GC is modded with Xeno, and I tried to burn the file "swiss(ntsc).iso" that came with this last rev, using Imgburn, but it didn't work.
It simply freezes after the boot animation...

What I'm doing wrong?
User avatar
megalomaniac
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:33 am
Location: Drunk in Texas
Contact:

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:49 am

swiss(ntsc).iso is the same file used for building swiss ntsc flash files for WKF/WASP
the iso is proven to work since i always flash my WKF / WASP during testing...


did you adjust your laser?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Sugurain
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:21 am

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by Sugurain » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:15 am

I didn't.
It reads DVD-r discs perfectly, games and I've even burned a GB Player disc (just before attempting to burn Swiss) wich ran flawlessly, using the same Ritek media on both.

Just realized that the iso I tried to burn dates from 07/24/2012, I downloaded it from here:
http://www.emucr.com/2014/12/swiss-svn-r295.html
So it's probably a fake "new version" of Swiss.

Gonna try the NTSC iso on the link you provided on the first page to see what happens...
User avatar
RazorX2014
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by RazorX2014 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:38 am

only download swiss from here
wangice
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by wangice » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:53 am

report r294:
use this version play any gc game report my memory card is corrupted and needs to formatted.
and my last use version(r211,r280) do not have this bug,or i have a wrong setting in my console?
Sugurain
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:21 am

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by Sugurain » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:55 am

Done, and it worked! =)
Swiss is booting up fine now.

But why does it try to "initialize the DVD drive" everytime it boots up? Why would it mount the DVD if the only disc inside it is the Swiss disc itself?
Isn't there a way to skip this and set it to read the SD card first?
User avatar
RazorX2014
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by RazorX2014 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:57 am

Sugurain wrote:Done, and it worked! =)
Swiss is booting up fine now.

But why does it try to "initialize the DVD drive" everytime it boots up? Why would it mount the DVD if the only disc inside it is the Swiss disc itself?
Isn't there a way to skip this and set it to read the SD card first?
go into the options and do it
User avatar
megalomaniac
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:33 am
Location: Drunk in Texas
Contact:

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:58 am

Sugurain wrote:How can I burn a DVD with the latest Swiss release?
My GC is modded with Xeno, and I tried to burn the file "swiss(ntsc).iso" that came with this last rev, using Imgburn, but it didn't work.
It simply freezes after the boot animation...

What I'm doing wrong?
Sugurain wrote: Just realized that the iso I tried to burn dates from 07/24/2012, I downloaded it from here:
http://www.emucr.com/2014/12/swiss-svn-r295.html
So it's probably a fake "new version" of Swiss.


Gonna try the NTSC iso on the link you provided on the first page to see what happens...
Sugurain wrote:Done, and it worked! =)
Swiss is booting up fine now.

yup....you have been emucr'ed....
those versions are not compiled correctly so many features and fixes in swiss will not function...

all swiss releases posted at emucr are broken
only use the versions posted here at gc-forever
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
S_A_K_U_L
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:04 am

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by S_A_K_U_L » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:22 am

Does disc swapping work with Swiss r294?
User avatar
ALSINJAN
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:08 am

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by ALSINJAN » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:58 am

BenoitRen wrote: Swiss boot metod: Modified Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Where I can get it ?. At Google I can not find it.
BenoitRen
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by BenoitRen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:20 pm

Sugurain wrote:But why does it try to "initialize the DVD drive" everytime it boots up? Why would it mount the DVD if the only disc inside it is the Swiss disc itself?
Because the disc inside might be a retail game. There are several ways of booting Swiss, you know.
ALSINJAN wrote:
BenoitRen wrote: Swiss boot metod: Modified Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Where I can get it ?. At Google I can not find it.
Ask Extrems nicely by PM. :)
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
Sugurain
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:21 am

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by Sugurain » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:02 pm

go into the options and do it
When In try to save the settings, it returns this message:
"Cannot save settings to a Read Only device"

So, I have to burn another disk, with the settings included in the DVD telling it to disable the drive?
Because the disc inside might be a retail game. There are several ways of booting Swiss, you know.
I just said it was trying to mount it's own disc.

I would suppose the iso version of Swiss wouldn't try to mount the DVD drive, as it's supposed to be booted from DVD, to begin with.
User avatar
RazorX2014
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by RazorX2014 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:25 pm

keep your sd gecko in slot b and do it and it will save to that
Sugurain
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:21 am

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by Sugurain » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:40 pm

It didn't save. And the SD card is not locked either...

The weirdest thing is that the "swiss.ini" file was created on the SD card.... I have no idea as to why it dosn't save any changes to this file.
Anyways, I oppened the file on my PC and changed the DVD settings myself and it works now.


Now, as Brazil is a funny place, we sometimes have PAL and NTSC TVs around. Once I've made a DVD with the NTSC swiss, is there an option I can change to make it display in PAL?
theclaw
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by theclaw » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:11 am

Sugurain wrote:It didn't save. And the SD card is not locked either...

The weirdest thing is that the "swiss.ini" file was created on the SD card.... I have no idea as to why it dosn't save any changes to this file.
Anyways, I oppened the file on my PC and changed the DVD settings myself and it works now.


Now, as Brazil is a funny place, we sometimes have PAL and NTSC TVs around. Once I've made a DVD with the NTSC swiss, is there an option I can change to make it display in PAL?
NTSC GameCubes have incorrect PAL output. 50hz is normally black and white, unless using the component cable.
Sugurain
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:21 am

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by Sugurain » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:49 am

Technically, my GC is a PAL-M unit. xD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL-M

It runs NTSC (US) games, though. That's why I thought I should burn the NTSC version of Swiss. I didn't know it was actually going to output NTSC video only. xD
q8v08
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by q8v08 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:12 am

theclaw wrote:
Sugurain wrote:It didn't save. And the SD card is not locked either...

The weirdest thing is that the "swiss.ini" file was created on the SD card.... I have no idea as to why it dosn't save any changes to this file.
Anyways, I oppened the file on my PC and changed the DVD settings myself and it works now.


Now, as Brazil is a funny place, we sometimes have PAL and NTSC TVs around. Once I've made a DVD with the NTSC swiss, is there an option I can change to make it display in PAL?
NTSC GameCubes have incorrect PAL output. 50hz is normally black and white, unless using the component cable.
It's the same for any video game console, with PAL consoles you need RGB or YUV to output 480i,
CVBS needs to be forced to output 576i instead.
Man do I wish the Wii & GC had a real VGA cable like the Dreamcast & PS2.
theclaw
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by theclaw » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:20 am

Well PAL60 and PAL-M are both variations on 480i with PAL color. At least those have their uses.

NTSC50 wasn't so lucky.
Sugurain wrote:Technically, my GC is a PAL-M unit. xD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL-M

It runs NTSC (US) games, though. That's why I thought I should burn the NTSC version of Swiss. I didn't know it was actually going to output NTSC video only. xD
Try the PAL version of Swiss (or a PAL game). You should get black and white 50hz, as long as the TV accepts 50hz.

PAL-M at 50hz isn't a standard but I haven't seen PAL games tested on a PAL-M console to say for sure what happens.
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4539
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:40 am

Sugurain wrote:Technically, my GC is a PAL-M unit. xD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL-M

It runs NTSC (US) games, though. That's why I thought I should burn the NTSC version of Swiss. I didn't know it was actually going to output NTSC video only. xD
What is written under your console, DOL-001 or DOL-002?
Image
Sugurain
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:21 am

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by Sugurain » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:10 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Sugurain wrote:Technically, my GC is a PAL-M unit. xD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL-M

It runs NTSC (US) games, though. That's why I thought I should burn the NTSC version of Swiss. I didn't know it was actually going to output NTSC video only. xD
What is written under your console, DOL-001 or DOL-002?
DOL-002(BRA)

Try the PAL version of Swiss (or a PAL game). You should get black and white 50hz, as long as the TV accepts 50hz.

PAL-M at 50hz isn't a standard but I haven't seen PAL games tested on a PAL-M console to say for sure what happens.
My TV is a modern Sony LCD wich accepts multiple formats, including PAL-M, PAL-N, NTSC, and also has a "AUTO" option.
If you play games normally on the Cube, the TV automatically detects everything.

However, when I try to boot Swiss on the "AUTO" option, it starts blinking, the image is black and white, and the bottom of the screen is cut off (where the menu buttons of Swiss are).

NTSC option gives me a clean black and white image, but also with the menu cut off.

PAL-N options gives me a clean black and white image, with the menu perfectly fine.

And PAL-M gives me a clean color image, but without the menu buttons again.

I guess Swiss is messing with the image of my console, by try to force it to NTSC.


However, when I boot a NTSC game from the SD card, my TV detects it correctly as a NTSC signal, and displays it in color... :?
I have NO idea of what's going on. xD
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4539
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:13 pm

I've never seen a DOL-002, I think we'll need to get you to dump your IPL so we can add better support to Swiss... Also, what DVD Drive date is given to you in Swiss when you go to the info screen?

What devices do you have that we could write to, a SD card adapter for a memcard slot?
Image
Sugurain
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:21 am

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by Sugurain » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:37 pm

Although the sticker on the underside says it's a DOL-002:

Image

Take a look at what Swiss says about it:
Image

Image



And, yep, I just bought an SD to memorycard adapter from Deal Xtreme.
It's exactly like this one:
Image

I've been messing with homebrews for my old Xbox, PSP, PS2 and DS for years now, and for the first time I decided to play with my Gamecube too. I must admit, I'm having a lot of fun with this. xP
Attachments
Memory.jpg
(47.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Foto0141_zps549c620d.jpg
(94.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Foto0136_zps34f41a07.jpg
(112.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Foto0135_zpsbe802ac4.jpg
(117.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
User avatar
emu_kidid
Site Admin
Posts: 4539
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:56 pm

Nice, have never seen one of those before. At least the DVD drive looks standard and nothing special.

From that "MPAL Revision 1.1" I can tell it's a new undumped IPL (BIOS), and from that alone we could add support specifically for that console revision :)

If Swiss treated your console as NTSC would that work out better for you as I'm unsure how to cater for PAL-M specifically at this point (Extrems?).

You should be able to go to the settings in Swiss and change "Swiss video mode" to "NTSC (480i)".

Also, I'd like to see the BIOS dumped for completeness sake if you've got the time (and if I can remember if there's any already written tools to dump the IPL to SD Gecko).

EDIT: Do you also know if there was a GameCube released later in your country without the Digital Port on the back? If so, do you think you'd be able to get Swiss booted on one? ;)
Image
theclaw
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by theclaw » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:10 pm

Now I'm plain confused. I thought Gamecube color encoding was entirely hardware controlled (think Sega Genesis etc).
Thus no need for software to distinguish between NTSC and PAL-M.

In any case I've never heard of a Nintendo licensed commercial PAL-M game. So it may only be relevant to homebrew like Swiss.

From the looks of it, your console is outputting PAL-M at 50hz 576i. That would explain color returning with the TV set to PAL-M, but cut off.
Post Reply